Re: [gremlintime] Digest Number 172

Gary is absolutely right. It is the same around here. You can drop a AMC
360 in a Gremlin and the AMC enthusiast around here will think you are the
King of England. Drop a Chevy 350 into the same Gremlin you are the dirt of
the earth. They probably ask you to move your unholy car if you park next to
one of their's at a car show. No matter if the starter goes out on the 360
and you pay a fortune for one if you can find it while the local car parts
store can sell you that 350 starter cheap and hand it to you over the
counter. To me if you put a V8 in a 78 Gremlin (they only came with 4's and
6's) it is altered and not stock. It doesn't matter to me if is AMC or not.
Since I only drive mine to car shows in the summer I will keep my mighty 232
in mine and keep them happy. You know they have pointed out that my top
luggae rack and air damper are not stock. By the way Gary AMC cars do not
have Chevy, Ford, or Mopar parts on them. I ask a guy if he knew what Chevy
air pollution part fit my Gremlin and got a 45 minute lecture on that one. I
was told only AMC parts were on AMC cars. AMC just bought their parts from
the same manufacturers that the big three bought their parts from. Funny but
every book I read says it has a Mopar transmission and rear end. The
electronic ignition looks just like a Ford and the alternator is a twin for a
GM. I hope that guy doesn't read this list. He is a real nice guy and can
tell you everything about every AMC every built. I wouldn't want to make him
mad. Think long and hard about that swap. If you do it the car won't be
worth 10 cents to an AMC enthusiast and I don't know of any one else who
would buy it. Just my 2 cents worth. Good Luck.