[BaadAssGremlins] re: How many Gremlins still running & how many,

[BaadAssGremlins] re: How many Gremlins still running & how many,

Below was posted by Larry Duam. Some of you probably know Larry, old school
AMC historian, good friend, if you ever get a chance to meet him at a meet,
please do, he is numbers guy when it comes to AMC, has helped me also a lot
thru years when something stumps me so I greatly respect his opinion of
stuff like this, so here was his reply.

"I got a book called "Make Money Owning Your Car" by John R. Olson. He did a
business approach to old car values. His chapter 5 Is: "The Element of
Scarcity". He wrote the book circa 1976, so time has skewed his conclusions
a bit, as cars got much more expensive since then by
about 5 times. But like Eddie  says as cars age it costs more to fix them
then to replace them. Unit body cars insurances companies are quicker to
total out also. Between accidents  and mechanical break downs survival rates
start drop greatly by the 7 to 10 years old. So, by about 20 years or there
about, according to Olson's study you get about 1% of the total production
for that year , model left. Another things skews this is original cost of
car in question. Particularly expensive cars, convertible, and sports cars
of all types have a higher survival rates. Ever seen a Rolls -Royce in a
junk yard? I never have seen one. You get down to your Hornet & Gremlin , in
the mid-1970 AMC was making some where around 80,000 to 100,000 a year , off
the top of my head . So, even 1% turn say a thousand per year or so give or
take. It's a fair number,but many may be parts cars or the back of some one
garage too. LRDaum"

Eddie Stakes
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825 days