[BaadAssGremlins] re: base 71 AMC Javelin ebay + production figures

[BaadAssGremlins] re: base 71 AMC Javelin ebay + production figures

The 71 base Javelin is up to $3000 on ebay with a few days left. On the comment about the back up lens: yes, a NOS back up lens
commands $500 on low end and as high as $800 on high end. It is unique to only 1971. Originally AMC sold them in bags with little
target emblem enclosed quite neat. Not sure when they started seperating them, but I had several of them NOS in unopened dealer bags
in mid 1990s, no emblem on 2, while 3 had emblems, all same part number. Possibly AMC figured out not everyone wanted or needed the
emblem with the lens, sort of same reason why AMC stripe kits usually were just one piece for say, fender or 1/4 panel. Early on
however you could get 'whole' complete stripe kit but seems AMC started charging a la carte on things to keep costs down.

Alternative to the 71 back up lens is find a 72 back up lens and remove the cheese grater plastic thing. And fill the holes with
clear silicone, looks great unless 2 feet away!

No! Base Javelin 71 production was overwhemingly uh, base! 2283 with a 232; 922 with a 258; 3338 with a 304 2 barrel like this one
on ebay; 466 with a 360 and only 97 with a 401.

The 71 SST Javelins saw better numbers: no 232, 258 or 304s made but 5324 360V8 and 582 401V8s produced.

Still higher than the 71 AMXs with 1309 360V8s and 745 401s made.

Someone mentioned 401/4spds. The numbers really fall off into the old AMC toilet when it comes to how many made with 4 speed. For
instance of the 582 1971 Javelins made with a 401, I would estimate less than 150 were 4 speeds. And few had consoles AMC would ding
you for a 4 speed console. I believe it was a $36 option (would have to check!). But on the base 71 Javelin with 401 and only 97
made, how many were 4 speeds? Probably a handful. That is one hand. How many exist in 2012? I have not seen one in 20+ years
anywhere.

AMC built their Sh*t in small batches. So when you start crunching numbers usually really small. With AMC rarity does not equate
market value though, but fun to still think about how many this and that or few made. So of the 3338 "base" 304V8 1971 Javelins
produced, how many were this odd canary yellow exterior with green interior? Not popular color combination unless a hippie or
legally blind then. No breakdown on what was painted what colors either.

As for ugly, I guess all in eyes of beholder. The 71-74s are like a 59 Cadillac, either you love them or hate them, no inbetween.
There was a super nice 72 AMX in a Hemmings Blog this time last year in the 'find of the day' it sold for $21,000 of which one would
be hard pressed to restore one to that level in 2012 for that price:

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2011/04/13/hemmings-find-of-the-day-1972-amc-amx/

so will wait and see if the little 71 basie Javvie hits reserve. Note base silver dash, yikes.
Eddie Stakes
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.planethoustonamx.com