[BaadAssGremlins] Header Update - Finally

[BaadAssGremlins] Header Update - Finally

Although this thread has been an ongoing for years,, When it came time to put headers on my Gremlin, I finally decided on the Hedman headers # 98316. The quality and fit were great, and the "ball socket" type muffler flange mount they have is pretty nice. Keep in mind from my previous posts, I had bought every AMC header that was on the market (4 sets), so I could try each one and decide what was best.These went on a 1973 Gremlin with factory V8 automatic set up. I switched to the 727 tranny.  Although the Dougs headers (# D103) would have been my choice, they were within a 1/4" of touching the tranny once mounted, so the hedmans turned out to be the best overall. If you have a manual tranny, then the Dougs would be nice. The Hooker Super Comp headers # 7105HKR fit also, but I felt the high price of them was not worth it. The Edelbrock shorty Headers # 65813 just would not fit at all. I also went with the McRobb mini starter because of clearance/installation issues.. After trying for hours to get any of the headers to go in with the factory starter, I gave up.
I had many set backs on this project over the last couple years, but I finally fired it up last Saturday and it sounds and seems to run fantastic, so all was worth it. With any luck the restoration should be done soon and I'll have it on the road by summer.. Here are a couple pics of the underside and engine compartment.. I posted a video (cheap camera) of the engine running on youtube,, so you can type in "1973 AMC Gremlin first fire up" and it should bring you to the video of the engine running..
Bob in MN

000_0874.jpg
000_0876.jpg
000_0877.jpg