RE: [BaadAssGremlins] emissions controls

RE: [BaadAssGremlins] emissions controls

In my case, I bought a brand, spanking, new 1976 pacer off the lot.  Every
option.

Within a year, I had done all you mention and more.  Including sawing off
the gastank neck to accept the then-cheaper leaded gas.  Also pulled the
airpump, banjo fittings, and octopus.  Plated the EGR and plugged, capped,
and removed just about everything else.  Even changed the PCV valve to
straight road-draft tube.

Being young and dumb, I did not realize that the CHIEF component in mileage
is the DRIVER -- it's also the least predictable and least repeatable.

What I got for all my research and trouble?  Maybe upwards of 2mpg.  Maybe.
I did gain a lot of precious room and accessiblity to do further work which
troubled me for the next 10 years.

As it happened, I stop by the pollution van.  Our state has never had such
silly controls (not enough people, I suppose, or maybe just not enough
people that blamed the cars) and only quite-temporarily had inspections of
any kind.  But we had these 'voluntary' "clean-air vans".  So I stopped.
They stuck a probe up the tailpipe.

I kept the printout for many years.  I beat the Carbon Monoxide AND
Hydrocarbons test.  I had 10% of the allowable CO and I had 50% of the
allowable Hydrocarbons.

They were very impressed at my "well-maintained engine."  They were saying
how they wished EVERYone would do as I did and keep my car (now 3 or 4 years
old) in tip-top shape, emissions-wise.  Back then, CO was the big, ugly,
thing, not CO2, because we were all worried about global *cooling* back
then.    No plumbing on it.

L.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional