[BaadAssGremlins] AMC door handle breaking FIX [2 Attachments]

[BaadAssGremlins] AMC door handle breaking FIX [2 Attachments]

<*>[Attachment(s) from Eddie Stakes included below]

Are you having problems with your door exterior handle breaking on your Concord, Eagle,
Gremlin, Hornet or Spirit? If you have simply changed out the door handle....you didn't
correct the problem and it WILL break again. I found this out 2 different times, one with
my 82 Eagle, the other with 88 Eagle. To eliminate the 'possibility' of handle breaking
again, even if new handle, you have to twist the vertical bar to the latch back into
shape. You will have to remove door panel, and roll up window. Once done, remove the lower
window vertical track the glass slides in, there is a bolt that holds it in place at
bottom of door, very easy, then slide out the felt covered metal track. This will give you
direct access to the flat, metal bar that is causing the problem because it has twisted
thru time.....or someone has 'forced' the door handle open.

The culprit is the Z SHAPED FLAT METAL PIECE THAT IS CONNECTED TO THE LATCH. Nothing more.
(See illustration)

When I say 'forced' this means that you simply could be trying to open your door normally,
and the door handle paddle is 'tight' or 'won't pull completely back to open and unlock
the door' and suddenly you get limp paddle because you just broke the pot metal handle in
back due to stress.

The stress is when you try to force open the door it twists the thin, flat metal bar on
the latch. So if you want, you can continually replace door handles over and over again
until you fix this. Take it from someone who replaced THREE driver side door handles on
one car before discovering what problem was.

So while you have door panel off and new or used door handle installed, hook up the rod
and watch the vertical rod (the problem!) as you slowly pull handle. The rod on the latch
should be parallel to door and take a set of vice grips and twist the rod back 1/4 inch or
less, in other words, the opposite way of which it tries to turn when you are attempting
to pull handle.

Once done, put clips and rods all back with braces, and I *highly recommend* to get a new
set of my door handle gaskets ($10 a set + shipping) for your new door exterior handle.
(see illustration) I also *highly recommend* to slather grease inside the latch while back
there, also window regulator, inside spring in your new handle also. Use it
liberally....LOTS of it. The original white lithium grease AMC used long since gone, and
these parts need LOTS of grease, especially in areas of country with higher humidity. You
will thank me 50 years from now when you have not had to replace another door handle
because of this.

On one of my Eagles, the white 82 with 210,000 miles, I have not had to replace a door
handle in many years since that incident with 3 door handles in one month. And none of my
other "small handle" AMCs have had any issues with breakage.

The photos here are from the AMC Dealer Workshop Manual 1984-86 and have left the photos
sort of large to show detail on vertical bar you need to twist and fix, and also the door
handle seals I sell, of which those seal your handle to door and if your original ones are
brittle or gone, creates stress which leads to bent rod which leads to breakage!

There is a good review of AMC door handles and how interchangability with Jeep door
handles which are plentiful still, on Idaho Rambler site:

http://idahoamcrambler.com/amc-techtips/

If you want to order brand new (they are NICE!) door handles for your small handled AMC:
Concord, Eagle, Gremlin, Hornet, Spirit or large handle AMC: Ambassador, AMX, Javelin,
Matador, Pacer, Rebel contact Jim MacRae in Canada who has reproduced them:

http://www.ramblerjim.com/

If you need rubber door handle seals or watershields visit my site:

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/

Happy AMC'ing!
Eddie Stakes
713.464.8825