[BaadAssGremlins] engine swaps

With everyone looking at V8 swaps Im wondering about options for replacing the 4.2 in mine.
Gas is 4.25 and I actually use my Gremlin so Im thinking a modern 4 or V8 would get better power and mileage plus reduce the wieght on the front improving ride and handling.
Anyone seen or done something on those lines?  AMC sixes last forever but 16 mpg is pretty bad looking into the future.
As to V8 swaps, how do SBC (small block chrysler!) fit?  I wouldnt mind for a toy having a 340-6pk under the hood!