[BaadAssGremlins] Re: amc or amc

Agreed, rarely see Hornets at cruise nights, shows and events. Several reasons here though, one is the Hornet was like unfortunately many AMCs, a 'disposable' car. We like them, but most simply drove till drop then hauled away. I'm personally like the Hornet Series, and it is one of my favorite cars, have 3 of them right now for instance a 71 SC/360, 74 Sportabout and 77 AMX

Another reason is most of the reproduction items to come out thru years have been on the more popular AMX & Javelin Series. So more stuff to fix them up you know. So more at meets.

Since no 401 was offered in Hornet, and I mentioned only 360 was offered and only a 2 barrel, the production figures are sort of low. Granted, AMC built their stuff in small batches, however, I tell people daily rarity doe NOT equate market value when it comes to AMC.

A fellow emailed me a couple of weeks ago with a 72 Matador Z code 401, 2 door in D& Tran sAm Red. So only 71, count them, seventy one.....2 door Matador sedans built with a 401, and this one is probably only one I have ever seen, and probably only one left in existence in D7 Trans Am Red. He got the car on a trade, and was going to haul it to WA area swap meet to get back his $500. I have some lengthy emails here about pros and cons of what he may/may not do with it. He eventually decided to sell it for about $1000.

I had mentioned the 1971 Matador Machine:

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/stuff/matador_machine.htm

and my own 46,000 mile 1972 Yuca Tan Z code 401 Matador sedan, complete, that I eventually sold for $2600 or so after a year for sale, and my 71 Matador 2 door with astonishing 14,000 original miles, that I drove all of 250 miles in the 11 years I owned it, and sold for $2600 or so also, both shown in Matador Machine file above.

Seller decided to unload it, and there was even a file on the amc forum about it

http://amccars.net/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1298174350

since I had "spread the word" about it possibly being for sale. Imagine if this car would have been a one of one Mopar, GM, or Ford, and not a AMC.

Back to the "amc or amc" question......if this IS a original 360V8 Hornet....there were only 484 total production made. This is production figures off my site, the Hornet is 01 Series, 33, 155 & 296 made in 2dr, 4dr and wagons.

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/main/72_amc_totals.htm

it's why my question. One more thing on what Bill mentioned about few Hornets at meets and it goes back to original comment up in first paragraph about Hornets being a disposable car. They didn't get the undercoating treatment higher dollar AMCs got, both Gremlin & Hornet got some, but not as much as Javelin, AMX and even more for Matador & Ambassador Series. In some areas of country you had Gremlins & Hornets rotting out in fenders after 2-3 years.....these were literally brand new cars and fenders had rust on top from where salty road crap had hit them from underneath and rotting upwards. Not good even with Buyer Protection Plan and not good to attract new customers when your 2-3 year old AMC is rotting out from underneath you and you have not paid it off.

So my humble opinion while I am AMX Javelin guy....and love Hornet Series too and believe you can't never own enough AMCs (insert bwaaahhwah ah ahaaaahhhaa here) if it is not a N coded Hornet, then jump on the BBO Javelin, there are about 100 known to exist, mine included. If it is a N coded Hornet, share some pix with us here to maybe gauge rust, and other restoration possibilities should you ge that.
Eddie Stakes
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.planethoustonamx.com