[BaadAssGremlins] Re: Trouble shooting overheating issues

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: Trouble shooting overheating issues

Well, I've done ALL these things (shy of replacing the heater core, which i flused on its own thoughroly I DO appreciate the advice, but at this point I'm down to having the rad hot tanked and finding a shroud. I'll do a compression test just for the sake of doing it...

Wish me luck!

Thank you,

Paul J. Theurer

R.O.A. Member # 12474
A.M.O. Member # 9970

1971 AMC Hornet Sportabout Wagon
1972 Buick Riviera
1993 Chevy C3500

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ed Veneck <edveneck@...> wrote:

> Here is what I have learned after turning wrenches for over 40 yrs on dealing with overheating issues.  I sure you have already done some of these, so bear with me.
>
> 1) Change the cap, a cap that won't hold pressure will cause overheating
>
> 2) Check the thermostat, I always check them before I change them, just put it in a pan of water and bring it to a boil on the stove, A 180 Thermostat should open when the water start to boil.  If it does, it is good.
>
> 3) Put the system back together without the Thermostat.  with the system cold, remove the cap and look at the water flow in the radiator.  You should see water flowing from the side with the upper hose towards the side with the lower hose.  If it is flowing, than the water pump is good.
>
> 4) Check the lower hose, a soft hose can collapse when the Thermostat opens and the pump is pulling water into the engine.
>
> 5} A compress test should tell you if you have a leak in a cylinder,
>
> 6} Lastly, do a flush of the system, I have always used the Gunk brand when flushing a system, Follow the instruction, and you may need to do it twice to get it clean.  One note: when flushing a cooling system, I have learned the hard to discount the heater core, and just put a by-past hose between the inlet and outlet.  I have plugged up heater core with junk while flushing a system, Then all you can do is change the heater core,
>
> Best of luck
> Ed

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional