[BaadAssGremlins] Re: teages first gremlin pilot car 360 grrremlin feb

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: teages first gremlin pilot car 360 grrremlin feb

 hi i thought i read production started in April 1970 here is what i found[ This time, the kammback concept made it all the way to production, and the new subcompact was given the name `Gremlin' prior to it's April, 1970 introduction. The new Gremlin soon became a huge success with young, first-time car buyers interested in economy. Although ridiculed by some observers as `half-a-car' at the time, the fundamental kammback design proved very durable and inspired a slew of imitators over the next twenty years.]    i will try and talk to one of the guys that worked on this car in the 1970  today and find out more, he built a 401 for me that was to be put in my clone but i came across the fire breathing mtr thats in it so the 401 will go into my 1971 amx i was not trying to give bad information just trying to show a neat car that was built early on as a pilot car and was a pace car i only know of 1 other its a amx  1971  bottom of the page  http://www.physics.emich.edu/nvance/amcscan/amccars.html

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, baadass73gremlin@... wrote:

> Ok I stand corrected Terry,your complaint is about the fact this car was
> built on the assem. line. I agree me thinks the car was done up inside a
> special  shop Teague had. I'm thinking 6 banger Gremlin with a already existing
> 70 Hornet  304 xmember and V8 rear and a 360 from the line.
> Bart
>

> In a message dated 3/13/2010 12:54:11 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> twa1950@... writes:
>
> I agree a lot of money was and is wasted. My father worked for the VA as  a
> cook and because some guy in Washington said the life of a pan or pot was 5
>  years they had to throw every pot, pan, spoon and fork in a dumpster every
> 5  years. He said since they had twice as many as they needed they were
> throwing  stuff out that were never used. Having spent a summer at GE working
> on and  around  a assembly line I just find it hard to believe that they
> would  run this special car with all the special parts on it down the line. I
> would  love to know how many times that line had to be stopped because a
> special part  wasn't there. It would have cost them a fortune. Now if you told me
> they drove  it off the line as a 6 and it went to the rework shop where it
> was turned into  this car I would believe that. I also believe all these
> special cars existed  and that most ended up being crushed. I just don't
> believe they were built on  the assembly line. I also find it very hard to believe
> that there wasn't any  Gremlins built in February if they had them in the
> showroom on April 1. That  would mean that in a three week span AMC built
> enough Gremlins and shipped  enough Gremlins to every dealership in the US and
> Canada to have 5 or 6 on the  lot. That would been one hell of a feat if  it
>  happen. I am not  saying it didn't happen. I am just saying it is all hard
> to believe.
> Terry

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional