Re: [BaadAssGremlins] re: 71 hornet issues

Thanks to all who have been sending suggestions. I am in the process of finding a replacement. I noticed that I can have wipers, just not idle at the same time. So.. I guess that figures.. with the vacuum problem. I am checking fuel lines and vacuum lines. Thanks again, you guys are great.. Will keep you posted, Linda

--- On Sun, 2/28/10, Eddie Stakes <eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Eddie Stakes <eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [BaadAssGremlins] re: 71 hornet issues
To: baadassGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sunday, February 28, 2010, 9:52 AM

Tom Jennings wrote:
"Though it might cost $100, you're far better off replacing the existing
mechanical fuel+vacuum pump with the right one."

This is true, however, finding a vacuum operated fuel pump to go with the vacuum wipers is
tough, they have been obsolete for decades. There are several rebuilders of them on my
VENDORS list though:

http://www.planetho ustonamx. com/AMC_Vendors/ amc_vendors. htm

whereas you have to send them your's and about 2 week turnaround, not sure of cost, you
would have to get with them to find out cost and shipping.

"Most electric fuel pumps put out too high a pressure for older carburetors
without gas tank return lines and will cause more trouble than they fix, so
you will almost certianly need to add a fuel pressure regulator too.
Electric fuel pumps are not very good at "pulling" fuel (they like to push)
so there could be complications there."

Well, yes and no.......a 'electric' fuel pump is a option, but I have had trouble with
them thru the years. My 71 SC/360 had one, located near tank, and just seemed starved for
fuel all the time so replaced it with another. Still starved for gas but have big 850
Holley on the 360V8 so needed lots of gasofa.
I ended up going with high volume mechanical one.....up front.....looks dead stock....and
what a huge difference it made.