[BaadAssGremlins] re: 71 hornet issues

Tom Jennings wrote:
"Though it might cost $100, you're far better off replacing the existing
mechanical fuel+vacuum pump with the right one."

This is true, however, finding a vacuum operated fuel pump to go with the vacuum wipers is
tough, they have been obsolete for decades. There are several rebuilders of them on my
VENDORS list though:

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/AMC_Vendors/amc_vendors.htm

whereas you have to send them your's and about 2 week turnaround, not sure of cost, you
would have to get with them to find out cost and shipping.

"Most electric fuel pumps put out too high a pressure for older carburetors
without gas tank return lines and will cause more trouble than they fix, so
you will almost certianly need to add a fuel pressure regulator too.
Electric fuel pumps are not very good at "pulling" fuel (they like to push)
so there could be complications there."

Well, yes and no.......a 'electric' fuel pump is a option, but I have had trouble with
them thru the years. My 71 SC/360 had one, located near tank, and just seemed starved for
fuel all the time so replaced it with another. Still starved for gas but have big 850
Holley on the 360V8 so needed lots of gasofa.
I ended up going with high volume mechanical one.....up front.....looks dead stock....and
what a huge difference it made.

On the 71 Matador I mentioned earlier, it was a 304V8 2 barrel. And I did get rid of the
combo vac fuel pump wiper suck thing down there and go to Auto Zone and put in regular
mechanical pump, and never had a issue with carb, leaks, accelerator pump, nothing, worked
great whether I punched gas pedal on I-10 or just idled. I rerouted the wiper vac hose to
intake, and yes, only when idled up did wipers work, but hell, vacuum wipers sucked even
in 1971...AMC was last automaker to use vacuum wipers! My SC/360 has factory electric
wipers.

One more example, is Eagles have a 'three line' fuel filter, that is a runoff hose that
sends unused fuel back to the tank, so one gas line in, two lines out. I don't use the
three line fuel filter, just regular one line in, and one line out filter on my 82 Eagle,
and no issues with pressure.

"Vacuum wipers work POORLY when connected directly to manifold vacuum. TO fix
THAT you'll need to add a vacuum accumulator can."

I never used one, however, I did splice the brake vacuum line and put a "T" fitting in it,
which worked well on several AMCs I changed out. I didn't do that to the 71 Matador
because no power brakes, had regular brakes, damned thing hardly had any options, only AM
radio, wheel covers, this is actual window sticker

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/amc_window_stickers/71_SAMPLE_WINDOW_STICKER.jpg

I think a key and title were options on that car, never mind it was SOLD without a title,
as Alabama didn't issue titles (like ME and I believe MS). So routed the vacuum wiper line
directly into intake.

"Or, you can simply buy the correct part -- it will fit, you won't have to
chop or modify anything, no 'treasure hunt' for one of a kind parts, all
your existing systems will work. The job will be straightforward with few
surprises."

I think I mentioned before that there are some rebuilders of combo vac wipers/fuel pumps
on my VENDORS list, however, I forgot to mention (I think) that if one picks up a Hemmings
Motor News at arealarge bookstore like Barnes & Nobles, these are about 2 pages of people
and places that offer that same service, might be one near her perhaps.

"But before you go replacing expensive components, it's best to identify the
problem first! That said, changing the fuel lines at the tank and under the
hood is inexpensive and almost certainly needed unless you can remember when
it was done last. And even if you end up replacing a perfectly good foot of
hose, that's what, $2? Think of it as cheap insurance!"

I agree above, but to me at least, a quick fix (providing that is what it is) would be to
simply put on mechanical fuel pump. It is like a electrical problem, sort of ghost in the
machine, so process of elimination, and changing the fuel filter(s) and hoses would be
first so see if makes difference.

"(HINT: got to a car wash of the 'magic wand' type and de-gunk the engine,
especially the fuel pump area, before you do the work, or even if you take
it somewhere else to do the work. Wrap the distributor in a plastic bag or
two. If it gets wet it won't start, but at worst you can take the
distributor cap off to dry it out.)"

Dumbazz award coming up! I took my 82 Eagle to hig pressure car wash place to spary off
engine, as I had changed out fuel filters, hoses, and degunked the engine. I forgot to
cover distributor cap and sprayed off big mess of stuff on the 258. Cranked it up fine
afterwards, but put in gear and it would die. So walked over to the O'Reillys newxt door
and bought $1 screwdriver, took off distributor cap which was soaked. Could not dry it out
but lucky for me the crackhead in stall #12 had a lighter, I gave him 50 cents to use it
and dry out the inside of my cap, but turned down a hit on his pipe. This is Greg
Bingham's car wash on Briar Forest at Wilcrest, a guy was washing his car and was murdered
here several years ago; Greg Bingham used to be Houston Oiler so tough neighborhood.

Anyways, Eagle cranked right up, put in gear and still driving it, but just had double
dumbazz moment, one.....going to that car wash, and two.....not covering up distributor
while washing engine.

Eddie Stakes
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx