Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Levis Gremlin Upholstery [4 Attachments]

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Levis Gremlin Upholstery [4 Attachments]

<*>[Attachment(s) from Eddie Stakes included below]

Since I had this stuff out trying to answer a question from a different AMCers in same
era, here are some photos ya'll might like. One is of the original 1973 AMC Auto Show news
material, commonly called a 'press kit' and loaded with memos and factory photos. Another
is a memo from same kit, and notice at bottom, on the comment about Levi's that "as
adapted by AMC, the 'Levi's trim package uses a spun nylon fabric rather than the
traditional blue denim cloth. This adaptation was necessary to meet standards of wear and
tear and stain resistance considered desirable in automobiles, and to conform to Federal
flammability requirements."

Bullshit. The spin was that this was AMC's way of using similiar materials to keep costs
down, nothing more. Have heard same from workers who I interviewed thru decades. Nothing
wrong with keeping costs down but this absconds them of anything by simply saying 'feds
made us do it'. If you have ever seen nylon burn it goes rather quickly and side by side,
my money would be on real denim.

The other two photos is small rarely seen brochure by a woman, Billie Brown, who made
frequent appearances on radio and tv for AMC back then. Rather important lady back then
too I may add and her comments carried tons of sway, just like you see, say, Oprah
now....if she says a certain type of food is great, it flies off shelves, or read this
book, and it is suddenly #1 in book list. Brown's opinions were sought after on subjects
such as safety, pollution, energy, fed regulations, future design, directions, and of
course then....the sweeping trned towards smaller cars in US.

So this was a small book aimed AT women....in 1974. Really unique. Of course wife Paige
would disagree with cover where it shows "I have a problem free relationship" however. And
a hot flash might want to make you put that Mellow Yellow Grelin up some Hyundais ass in
Houston traffic.

Bart, you might want to save these photos somewhere on your site as have a number of
people thru the years ask me whether the Levi's Gremlin, Hornet and Concords used real
denim, which they didn't. PS: in 1978 you could get your Gremlin or Concord  in 4
different Levi's interior colors: red, tan, blue and black.
Eddie Stakes
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.planethoustonamx.com