Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re:76 Hornet For Sale - Alabama

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re:76 Hornet For Sale - Alabama

Doc has good points here are a few more. When a car sits, or even rarely driven, the first things to go are the gas, trans if automatic and brakes. The gas, you have all types of shit 'designer blends' in US so what you burn in AL, is not what is in pumps in St. Louis as not same in Phoenix, or LA or Houston. Here we have 'oxygenated' crapgas and it wrecks havoc with gas gauges giving false readings, especially with later model aMC & Jeeps that were not intended to have gas tank full of bubbly. But have seen gas go bad as in little as 6 months and have written about ti extensively. So better than average you will have to yank tank, clean, blow out lines, replace any gas hoses, usually fuel pump and carb to boot...the carb and fuel pump especially vunerable to sitting gas and gets gums up. Car may start and run, but that sediment is still there, sort of like sitting on couch after triple cheesburger, you can walk to take a dump, but lots of sediment left behind, no pun intended and hope none of ya'll have ate breakfast yet. Ewww.....the brakes, nuff said, same deal, and if disc, the calipers, proportioning valve, and rear cylinders turn to mush. And usually master cylinder, and booster develops pinhole leaks, just like fuel pump, in diaphram. And if AT, the bands, especially on the 904/998 series, fall apart. Can't tell you how many cars I have bought sitting up that first thing to go is the 3rd/drive/reverse band in the 904/998 trans. It could be noticed immediately, or usually after a few weeks of simple driving as it distrigrates then starts slipping, or hesitation after stopping.

PS here are some online price guides off my site

http://www.collectorcarmarket.com/menus/ccmprcs/76amhoet.htm

and the 2nd one lists this:
1976 AMC HORNET Dsp/HP Eng Fair Good Exc Show Loan
2D HATCHBACK 1973-77 232/100 6C 800 1,500 2,500 3,000 1,000
4D SPORTABOUT 1973-77 232/100 6C 900 1,700 3,000 4,000 1,200
Add: V8 $300, Levi trim $300

Data updated May 2009.
Granted, the price will be determined between buyer and seller, and of course, many other factors, but since the fellow has sentimental value in vehicle, might be hard to pry off him at any price!
Eddie Stakes
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.planethoustonamx.com