From: AMCOWNER
Sent: Friday, May 15, 2009 1:58 PM
Subject: RE: [BaadAssGremlins] An SC/Rambler Question

Not sure about the SC but I had stumbled across something a while back about the SST – it was AMCs answer to the “Super Sport” – it was during the space age and the US space program and stood for “Super Sonic Transport” and AMCs twist was that the AMC cars that were SST models were supposed to be FAST!!!  From what I can tell though it was just a trim package and marketing hipe/ploy???  My 68 Javelin has a factory 290 and column automatic, my 69 Javelin has a 232 and floor shift three speed manual, and my other 69 Javelin was a factory 290 floor shift automatic – doubt either compared to a 390 auto or four speed car would be Super Sonic Transporters ;-)  Have also seen a few 69 Rebels with the SST designation – 290 column shift auto and a 343 column shift auto.

-Mike

Michael Lakin

Fallon, NV. 89406

(775) 427-2695