[BaadAssGremlins] Re: hurricane ike/power on 12 days later

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: hurricane ike/power on 12 days later

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Eddie Stakes"
<eddiestakes@...> wrote:

Hey Eddie, Glad you and family are A-OK. Confederate Railroad once
did a song titled "God Bless Texas" so I hope that rings true for
you all now and in the future. If you see any of those Michigan
energy workers helping out you let them know us folks back here at
home in Michigan are very proud of them helpin you Texans out to get
back to some sense of normal.
P.S. Can you BBQ those MRE's ????

> Our electricity came on at 5:21pm this afternoon, and after 12
days, quite a
> ride. There are 1 in 4 Houstonians without power with Centerpoint
still as I
> write. At height of Hurricane Ike, there was over 4 million peoplw
with no
> power.
>
> So after 12 DAYS, we have electricity, phone, cable and internet
again. Not
> all people do and across street have no power.
>
> Paige, me and the boys are doing fine, and only got mimimal
hurricane damage
> like hole in roof from 500 lb pecan branch. Luckily the 100+mph
wind blew it
> where it did or it would have probably went thru roof, and Noah
was sleeping
> in his bunk bed right below where it would have hit, could have
been really
> bad. Amazingly my fence I built a few months ago by myself (140
feet!!)
> didn't even lose a plank. Paige's 88 Eagle got cracked windshield
from
> branch, and my 72 Ambassador SST wagon and 81 Eagle, both a street
over at
> Phil's Auto Repair, were buried in sheetmetal....but no damage,
would have
> never known it if you saw them as could barely see either under
the metal
> frames and sheetmetal blown off from surrounding businesses, but
both ok.
> And neither the 69 BBO MOD Javelin and the 74 Javelin (and 74 Maxi
Blue AMX)
> I just all got in got any damage, but were buried in my driveway
with oak
> and elm limbs. A few houses over a tree went thru a house like
butter, and
> then cratered the guy's 'new' 66 Chevy II Nova he had only gotten
a week
> before Ike, I got some photos of that will post later.
>
> The hurricane itself was one of the strangest hurricanes I have
ever seen. I
> don't want to take away anything from those who have lost
everything (and
> there are many) 50-60 miles from me, but whole communitis have
VANISHED and
> are only known now thru maps like Gilchrist, Surfside, Bolivar,
Crystal
> Beach for instance. And Galveston is a huge disaster zone with
piles of mud,
> snakes, mosquitos, no power, gas, and even alligators eating dead
cows.
> There was a 8-9 foot storm surge down there before a drop of rain
had even
> fallen, which shows the huge size of the storm.
>
> A plea was made for people who live in high rises and condos above
15 floors
> to get out as wind gusts had already been measured at 130-140mph
500 feet
> up! I think this is why so much trees and power poles down.
>
> Have seen crews from OH, MI, FL, AZ, CA, ID, OK, GA, LA, MS, AL,
MO, NE to
> name a few places linesmen have been brought in from to help
put "the energy
> capital of the world" back online.
>
> Not sure how many of you have ever ate a MRE (meals ready to eat)
FEMA and
> Red Cross pass out but they are quite good. All sorts from
enchaladas to
> spagetti and most have a small packet of Tony Scheries or tiny
airport
> bottle of Tobasco in them. Tons of carbs and calories after all,
they were
> designed for our fighting men and women but us civilians like them
too and
> we ended up with several boxes of them.
>
> I did go to St Alexander's this morning after stopping at bank,
and say a
> few prayers. Got a lot to be thankful for on our end compared to
some of the
> people on our street whose houses cut in 1/2 by trees weighing
TONS....or as
> mentioned those poor folks south and east of us 50+ miles who took
brunt of
> Ike.
>
> If you have tried emailing me, or calling me, again, I HAVE HAD NO
POWER for
> 12 days. If you ordered something from me, the mail has been
sporadic....and
> please note that many US Post Offices DID NOT HAVE POWER either,
much less
> full service, like the Town & Country one I ship things from could
only take
> cash and only could sell stamps, so no priority mail, or anything
else.

> I will be attempting to try to play catch up in next few days, so
if you
> don't hear from me, it is a huge FEMA line of emails, and
ironically the
> first person to get thru on my phone a few minutes ago after it
powered back
> up was longtime AMC vendor Allen Walrath in NY asking if we were
ok. If you
> ordered something from me, I have started shipping again,
especially FedEx
> which had powere 4 days after hurricane Ike; and now the post
office near me
> is back up to full service so AMC stuff will be going out again
shortly,
> thanks,
> Eddie Stakes
> 713.464.8825