Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 6:34 PM
Subject: Car is done but slow off the line

I have a 1970 360 motor I had rebuit and put in my 68 AMX(p.s. dont let anyone know its not a 390). It has stainless valves copper fittings in the heads, headers, 2 chamber flowmasters, and a lenati voodoo cam.  I added the cam oiling and oil by pass seal plate so I should have all the oiling safety junk.  It has a 1972 amx 727 tranny hooked up to it.  I have a torquer manifold with a CFC carborator on it.  I'm going to mark the tire mark and count the revolutions becuase they think the car has 411 gears in its rear.  I have a 2500 stall converter in it . The car is a slug off the line, after 20 feet it goes balls to the wall.  I have a rachet shifter so i can hold back first gear.  Even if I hold back first gear and power brake it its still a slug until it hits about 3500 rpms.

I been told 3 different things.

1. Tranny builder says :Even though the carberator linckage was for a 68 or 70 and  shortened they say it is not in adjustment.  when the throttle goes out half way on carb the giant paper clip which does passing gear and something else starts to move.

They recommend I put a manual valve body in the tranny because its "almost impossible to get the tranny linkage right and I'm hurting the tranny by driving like this."

2.My buddyy John Says" AMC engines are low powered junk that should never see high rpms anyway.  My motor is probably only 200 hp and  it does not have enough power to spin the tires let alone kick in the torque convertor."

He says drive it to shows and dont worry about it.

3.  My body man says " It does not have a big enough convertor in it.  some thing is holding the motor back.  The throttle lashes open with great response in park. "

His solution put a 3500 stall convertor in the car and it will go nuts.

What do you think I should do?

Also if I do have 411 gears can I still drive 100 miles to shows at 70 mph or do I have to to only drive 55mph.  Should I change gears in rear end.
This car was a drag race car driven by "Jim Barnes"and then a road coarse car before it was sent to the amc junk yard stripped. Then given to an employee who welded a new entire rear half of car from behind drivers roof back.  Then all loose parts in the junk yard were scrounged up and were bolted on it ( including javelin hood fender and power sterring pump). It was sold to me when junkyard employee had a kid the car was  (all boogered together).  Ive almost finished now and I got it in 1993.  I accidently bent those card board sail panels you made me when I put them in. Is there a trick not to bend them?.  You can see the creases.

P.s. the fiberglass roof headliner mold sucks that i got at american performance.  Its too short on one side and droops in the middle.I'm not the only one who has that problem. I met someone in north Florida who has the same problem on his duaghters playboy pink amx . He says "its not my car so I dont care". You cant blame him he built her a beautiful car.

I appreciate all the help and parts youve given me through the years.  Thnaks so mucch for keeping AMC alive.

RT

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. __._,_.___