Re: [BaadAssGremlins] 1978 AMC porsche - Turbo -

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] 1978 AMC porsche - Turbo -

That is a great idea if the bell on the Porshe block is the same it would be a really cool setup. But then you would have to build a better tranny, better drive shaft, better rear end to handle the better HP and torque.
 Davis

Jay Nogg <jay.nogg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Re: 78 Gremlin Engine conversion

Posted by: "Terry Atkins" twa1950@yahoo.com   twa1950

Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:04 pm (PDT)

No the Audi/Porsche engine is the right one. If I was going to do all the trouble of converting the engine I would go with a V8. Saying that I like original cars. In the long run I think you would be better off keeping the 4 banger in the car. I don't have the figures in front of me but there can't be that many left. You might be talking less than a 100. Mark my word if you restore it close to original someday that car will be worth more than the 401 hot cars.
Terry

dkaunisto <dave@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
There is a 78 Gremlin for sale locally for $400, listed with the "2.0
Audi motor". Shouldn't it be the Renault engine? How hard is it to
swap in a 258? Thanks

Dave
72 Gremlin X 304

That is an Econ version of the PORSCHE-Audi 4 cyl. - grab that car &
shop for a PORSCHE Turbo 944 engine & install it.

Virtually same block except the 944 is special built Turbo block.

Wiki the PORSCHE 924-944-964 series.

Plenty salvage available and not priced stupidly like
the 911 series.

This way, you'll have a uniquely Historic investment grade
Show Winner with Guts  with the rare OEM engine available on a stand.

And..it will be the only one in existence.

Make some AMC History with it.

Jay