Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Hot Rod magazine April 08 Issue

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Hot Rod magazine April 08 Issue

Ya'll know the Gremlin was introduced at the New York Auto Show on April
1st, 1970, also April Fools Day like the Hot Rod spoof:

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/press_photos/70gremlinnyautoshow.JPG

note the lady with her metal bottom purse digging for smokes scratching up
new Gremlin paint.

I also want to add this here, also off my site as it is the caption of the
photo: "April 1970. AMC was in financial trouble in 1970, suffering a 2nd
1/4 loss of $10 million or 41 cents per share. This, along with the strike
affected first 1/4, where they incurred a loss of $15.6 million, resulted in
a net loss in the first 1/2 of the fiscal year of a whopping $25 million.
(And people ask why the 70 AMX didn't sell, the 70 Javelin saw only 1/2 of
the production of 69 and the Rebel, including the Machine, was a flop.) The
losses stated above had no benefit of tax credit. The strike mentioned
above, closed the plants for five weeks in the fall, and cost AMC a whopping
$23 million loss and 36,000 vehicles plus interruption of momentum in the
market at a really critical time. AMC also had just bought Jeep for $40
million, so you can see how this all affected AMC. In other words, WE ALMOST
LOST AMC IN 1970. Enter the Gremlin to save the day! That, along with
Hornet, would be AMC's Bread and Butter cars for years, selling really well.
The Gremlin was A MAJOR ATTRACTION at this huge show. Gremlin sales EXCEEDED
SUPPLY and production had to be increased 30% due to consumer demand!"

The only reason why is simply to show I guess the parallel. AMC also had a
number of 'what ifs?' at this show. None saw production.

I know it is different with Hot Rod however. They sort of crapped on AMCers
at well, AMCers expense. Someone did a great job on the sketches, and again
if you read my post on the www.amccars.net thread about this same topic,
there are some good books i highly recommend with more sketches about what
ifs.

And not in a joke format! Don't be too harsh on Hot Rod, I don't recall them
ever being a AMC friendly magazine thru the decades anyhows. I liked the
article. I don't like people calling (and emailing) all times of day and
night however asking if 'I have heard the news as Hot Rod reported AMC
coming back!!!

My hope....and that is all it is coming from that article.....is that people
will realize what a wonderful car company AMC was, and innoviative products
well ahead of their time, and copied even to this day by various auto
manufactures long after AMC is a footnote in US auto history. I also hope
that that article, although a spoof/joke/whatever, will inspire someone to
go out and buy a damned AMC anything in 2008, and simply have fun with it,
regardless if they try to do a rotisserie restoration, or drop a Chevy 350
in it, or drink a bottle of Jager and Sawzall the top off and make Javelin
roadster. To me, it is all good and another AMC saved in "some" fashion for
a future generation to admire and hopefully learn about. Might inspire
someone to buy the last Gremlin in existence in 2030 or build a Hornet wagon
that runs on some new fuel like seawater or sushi in 2025. Who knows.

No, the article didn't make everyone happy, and sort of sucks to see a major
magazine like that kick a automaker when they can't defend themselves.
Imagine if they did same thing with Plymouth.....

Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx