[BaadAssGremlins] Re: Changing out the interior....

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: Changing out the interior....

Hello,
Just thought I'd throw my two cents in....I did two
different dash color conversions on my '72 & '73 Olds
wagon restorations.  One dash was black and the other
green.  I 'dyed' them both to Saddle brown.

I went to English Color, an auto paint store in Dallas
and had them mix up the correct color vinyl paint and
then used the small CO2 paint sprayer they sell (you
can get elsewhere too).  It includes a reuseable glass
jar with a changeable CO2 cartrige.  Pretty
inexpensive sprayer ($10-14.00, replacement cartridges
are less) but very effective for this type of project.

I have to say I was AMAZED at how smooth and
consistent the vinyl paint went on.  Try as I might, I
could not error with it!  It leveled out and blended
with itself for a seamless covering.  With rattle can
spraying, you can get those stroke lines so I suggest
staying away from any of those types of 'dye'
products.

You absolutely could not tell it was not the original
vinyl surface or color.  I'm really pleased with it.
On my '72 wagon, I also 'freshened' all of the
interior panels with matching beige vinyl paint.  I
had the same good experience there.  All of the
plastic and vinyl pieces came out flawless and
impossible to detect any paint.

I'm right now restoring my '72 Gremlin and will be
taking some liberties on equipment and color
combinations, though for the most part it will be
pretty close to stock.  I need to come to a decision
as to what color to paint both inside and out.  In TX,
black interior is not real practical so I'm leaning to
beige with a lighter color exterior.  It was
originally Plum and then bastardized to yellow for
some unfathomable reason(pics in the photo album
somwhere).  Likely neither the exterior or interior
will be a true AMC color but neither will it be wild.
I've got good self esteem so not to worried about my
fellow diehards AMCer's!  LOL!!

Good luck with yours!

Bill
Dallas, TX
'72 Gremlin (gutted and still ready for paint)
'72 Olds Custom Cruiser Wagon
'71 Mark III
'70 Cadillac Convertible

<*> Your email settings: