Re: [BaadAssGremlins] AMC Brakes - what a nightmare!

Glad to hear things are happ'nin alas slowly. You know manual disc brakes without that stupid booster work just as well. I ordered my Gremmie that way since new and the pedal is not any harder to push than the power brake unit. If all else fails, get rid of that extra stuff (looks a lot neater under the hood, too) Gary 'Themix2'

-----Original Message-----
From: lumina333 <lumina333@xxxxxxxxx>
To: BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 12:02 pm
Subject: [BaadAssGremlins] AMC Brakes - what a nightmare!

Got brakes? I don't yet! Why? WELL.......where to begin??? After
running all new brake lines through the proper proportioning valve,
bleeding the brakes, I found that the valve did not work. Back to the
junkyard and found another one. This one worked. Re-bled the lines
again. Now the brakes still won't work - no pressure. Discovered that
the master cylinder and booster are wrong for this 76 Gremlin body.
Wrong booster bracket too - newsflash: there were 2 - 3 different
brake/booster/bracket combinations in 76. Back to the junkyard -
found the correct bracket for a 76 booster - ordered another
booster/master cylinder combo. The actuator arm on the back of this
new booster is much longer than the first one. Now I will have to re-
bend brake line for the new master cylinder since the chambers are
reversed on the new one. Guess I learn as I go. Other than that, I
found a coil bracket (in the junkyard) and modified it to fit the
Edelbrock intake. I have a new set of gauges to mount under the
ashtray (probably) and run all the sensors & wires to it. Poured 5
quarts of oil in the oil tube, put 4 quarts of transmission fluid in
the trans. tube, and need to install one more fuel line to complete
the circuit. Radiator fan must be wired and more wiring harness work
to do. Then the battery will go in, gas in the tank, coolant in the
radiator and turn the key. Now if the weather will kindly cooperate
(sleeting today).

The Spirit got new pipes (with H crossover) & turbo mufflers
yesterday. Slant chrome tips, over the axles and out the back. Nice
sound! Saving up my money to get front fenders & hood from a perfect
one found in same local junkyard. Sorry this is so long. ~Lu~