Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Tom's interior (was Re: Nice 'retro' Hornet)

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Tom's interior (was Re: Nice 'retro' Hornet)

I don't think theh would have a problem with Levi's unless they use actual
Levi's denim, or those small orange tag with Levi's on it. The original
material used in 73-78 Grem/Horn/Con Series was not actual denim, but a
'denim like material' of course with the Levi's badging. You can find rolls
of that stuff at any hobby store, and as mentioned before, boxes of the
brass authentic Levi's buttons. So while Levi';s is known for denim, they do
not have copyright on denim, only Levi's name.

Like everything that gets reproduced one would have to see if there is a
demand for something first, otherwise pissing money away with little, or no
demand. There is a interesting thread on Fran's forum about 70 AMX grilles
for instance. I have stayed out of it simply because my views are known on
that. Somewhere on my site is a comment about a company that made excellent
concourse Mopar grilles and they wanted to do the 70 AMX grille back in
1998-99. Everyone on the amxfiles said it was next best thing to country
gravy. I said it would not happen. Cynical, yes, but also had Da Bears in
the Super Bowl last year with points.

The company wanted to do 250 70 AMX grilles. I estimate there are less than
500 70 AMXs left in world. They are the most cannibalized of the AMXs simply
due to the uniqueness of 70 AMX (and Javelin) one year only items. So of the
estimated 400 to 500 70 AMXs left, how many need a NOS or new grille? I
would say easily over 100. Of those, how many people would be willing to
spend $450 for a new grille?

Anyways the number drops into the toilet (supply/demand) and after one year,
the company gave back the $450 deposits as only 31, yes, 31, people put
money where mouth is, so project aborted.

Something I learned about that was what sometimes sounds like great idea on
internet, usually goes to shit. Great ideas that quickly come to mind on
internet that fell into shitter are" AMC Magazine (the color AMC magazine
out of NY); AMC Council of Clubs; AMC Unity Club; Charity AMX (it's still
out there but so is yeti, sasquatch and here locally, chupacabra, although I
must admit chupacabra tacos are good), the original AMC Forum, AMC
all-clubs-nationals, so the old AMC road is littered with AMC roadkill.
Some, like chupacabra, is tasty. Most however are great ideas that everyone
piles quickly on, then dies just as quickly.

Not to say Legendary could not make difference! No, my suggestion would be
if anyone wants/needs Levi's interiors, let them know. This is how Kennedy
got with them and the hobby ended up with 68-69 Ventiliar vinyl for
AMX/Javelin. Then door panels, then 71-72 seat patterns, so the bigger issue
is putting money where mouth is I guess. Easy for anyone/everyone to say 'we
need this' on internet, but like the old 70 AMX grille thing, how many
people will put up $700 deposit for complete set of (insert year Grem/Horn
here) seat materials? How many building concourse cars? Stock? You have to
remember, this would be seat material, not cushions, nor springs, nor having
a auto upholstery person reupholster the seats, suddenly you have $1K/cheap
to $2K/high into just your professionally done seats in original materials!

On the aMO magazine survey, not sure how many people will reply to that as
at a Board meeting, few people vote, so not sure how many would reply to
that, but it might give Legendary a aye or nay on what "spread" to do if
they tackle it. What for instance could be used in Gremlin/Hornet thru X
amount of years? If there is a seat material that could be used for say,
1971 thru 1975 then that would be focus.

There are a lot of issues and ground to cover here regarding reproductions,
but most will simply fall back not into what people want, but what will
sell. Again, old law of supply and demand!

PS: Tom, a good upholstery man might be able, or should be able to get your
"pattern" pn your seats easily, so be sure to take good photos of them
before having them reupholstered, or let the guy study pattern. With my 71
SC/360, I drew (hey, took 4 years of art, should be able to draw something
beside flies!) but I drew the pattern, and what I wanted on paper first. He
looked at seats, looed at pattern AMC did in 1970 (car was early build) and
hit it dead on.....but with my red, white and blue pattern. He even matched
grain in vinyl. New cushions and a few new springs and $850 later they look
stunning, a photo is enclosed here. Good luck,

Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx