[BaadAssGremlins] 74 Gremlin brake problems - 78 Concorde front end - di

[BaadAssGremlins] 74 Gremlin brake problems - 78 Concorde front end - disc brakes

Howdy,

First time poster and new member to this group.

I've got a 74 Gremlin that I'm having some ongoing brake issues with.

A few years back my father and I did a front end swap on the car with
a disc brake setup from a 1978 Concorde w/bendix brakes (this is what
the guy at the yard told us at least).

Things were working just fine, but I recently had to replace one of
the rotors and have had nothing but problems.

We got a rotor for a 78 concord from O'reillys, the bearings and
everything fit, but since we've installed the new rotor (and pads on
both sets of brakes) the system will bind/lock after the brakes have
been bled and are applied for the first time.

If we take a c-clamp and push the pistons back in manually there is
enough clearance for both wheels to move freely however both wheels
(the one with the new rotor and the one without) will bind after any
brake pressure is applied.

I'm a novice at this kind of stuff (please don't tear me a new one)
and may have overlooked something simple and obvious.  The master
cylinder was old and I thought that maybe there was something wrong
with the pistons so I went ahead and replaced it with a rebuilt one
from O'reillys.  We've also replaced the calipers thinking that maybe
there was something weird going on there with the seals/pistons.  The
brake lines are the originals.

We're thinking that there's just not enough clearance between the
rotor and the inside pads and are going to try to grind/sand them
down, but this seems like a fairly extreme solution to what should be
a simple problem.

Any help/suggestions are heartily welcomed.

Thanks for your time and help,

Soup

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional