[BaadAssGremlins] Re: things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmm.............

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmm.............

Tim keep on doing what you do!! You are like alot of us older???..
guys on here! I grew up in the 60's/70's. To this day i still would
rather work on/talk about/look at hotrods/restored older
cars/trucks....NOT store bought FAST ricers. When i graduated in
1973...you could find about ANY used Mach1,Rebel Machine,Boss
Mustang,AMX,Z28,Torino Cobra Jet....etc on used car lots. Heck the
salesman would toss me keys and say.."drive it.....runs like he%%.
I'll make a heck of a deal to move it off my lot"!! I bought my
Machine in 1975...perfect shape for $850. The insurance companies and
lack of good fuel killed the cars sales!! Hmmmm wish i had some of
those cars i used to have...back now!! As long as a few fellows are
like you, our hobby will survive! My son is 23. Likes my Gremlin and
my wifes 74 AMX. But his car is a PINTO with a VERY built up 351
Windsor in it. Pi$$es off the 5.0 guys with high $$$$ cars,when he
smokes them. Hell i went out to watch him race a BLOWN /stroked 347.
Smoked it bad.Every nut/bolt on it he has done himself. Poor kid is
soooo much like i was at that age!! Just my 2cents,Joe--- In
BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tim Kottman" <timkott@...> wrote:

> Im a youngster compared to most.  Got my gremlin about 2months
after turning 16, now
> im 19.  Been a car nut since I was 12, wrenching on cars whenever
someone needed
> another hand.  Most the work i've done was for free as it was a
learning expierence for me
> and there is no price for education.  Kids my age dont know what it
means to work for
> what they have.  Since i was 14 i've had a job and payed for all my
goodies straight cash.

> I have been lucky enough to find a group of kids my age that have
similar beliefs.  We
> hang out in an abandoned parking lot at night and talk cars.  We
dont argue over makes
> we just sit and talk.  Work on our cars, and just hang out.  The
bigger fight is when punk
> kids cruize up in their ricers wanting to race.  Im all for racing,
but when its your daddies
> car versus a car one of us had spent our life savings on it just
takes the fun out of racing.
> Its sad that the car guys are a dieing breed.  Kids just dont know
what it takes to have nice
> things now days.  They get it all for the rightful price of whining
to their mommy or daddy.

> --- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Tom H <bigrigbear@> wrote:
> >
> > This whole topic makes me wonder about the future of
> > this hobby in general.  If your 40/up you probably
> > remember that Car Talk was standard social behavior
> > for almost all men, even those who weren't shade tree
> > mechanics.  I was fortunate to grow up in the 60's and
> > remember the whole muscle car / pony car experience.
> > Regular guys would fix up their cars and some even
> > drag race at a local track or cop-free street. You
> > knew what makes and models were built by who and
> > debated the virtues your chosen loyalty.
> > Nowadays its not cool in most areas or just illegal
> > and/or too technical for a budding motor head.  The
> > exception is the Japanese rice rockets popular here,
> > but mostly its a matter of opening your wallet and
> > having a shop do it for you.  They have no clue as to
> > auto history or significant cars.  As to the iron
> > still out there it seems most of the interest is
> > coming from an investment mentality and everyone
> > thinks they have gold if its old ( I overheard a "kid"
> > talking how his Cutlass Ciera would be a classic and
> > almost puked).  Guess Im just a 49 y/o geezer who is
> > stuck in my ways, but if there ain't grease under your
> > nails you get no respect from me.
> >
> > Tom
> > New owner of a 78 Gremlin
> > Past owner of a "Whats an Edsel?" and numerous AMC's

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)