Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Gremlin Paint Codes

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Gremlin Paint Codes

A 74 Gremlin could be had in all colors AMC offered in 1974 "except" the following:
F4=Daisy Yellow
G5=Pewter Mist Metallic
F6=Medium Blue Metallic
F5=Vineyard Burgundy Metallic
P1=Classic Black
*note however that if you knew someone you could get your new 74 Gremlin painted Classic Black. Again, you had to know someone. I may also add that due to a request by AMC in 1974 to get a extension from the federal Government due to changing emissions laws (it was granted) AMC continued production into late 1974/November whereas on any other year they would have stopped in late July, retooled their plants and cranked up again Aug 1st (1973 for the 74 models) with new models appearing in showrooms and lots around mid September.

However, with that in mind, you see a whole number of oddities towards end of what should have been 'end of production' and 'beginning of production' from roughly July 74 thru Nov 74. Some of the ones noted is 1974 modesl with 75 colors. My 74 Gremlin here was July build for instance and there is not any literature, paint chart, nothing, showing that "J7=Ivory Green" was used in 1974. Nothign, but here it is on a original 1974 late build AMC. AMC also ran out of 360 blocks, (due to selling them also to IH and Bricklin) and was one of the main reasons Bricklin switched to Ford engines for 75. Pacer, highly anticipated introduction, much like what you see today with iPhone, was also pushed back. Imagine if Pacer was brought out on time, would have sold better I guess in later years, but first year sold like hotcakes with 117244 finding new homes. There is also some late 74 AMXs built with steel hoods, again a oddity, not sure if the new owners were offered fiberglass hood at later date either.

To whover has the 74 Gremlin, while nothing is set in stone in American Motors color catalogs (lots of airbrushing, some things dropped before production, ect) they are still one of the best and most informative items one can have for their personal collection and for reference. Besides the cool photos, you usually have tons of options and accessories shown, and some of them, starting in about I believe 72, also have original AMC Paint Chip Charts in back pages....whihc show what you can/can't get in what color.

I may add that from talking to ex AMC employees thru years, black was just pain in the ass color to paint a car in and you usually had to pull some strings to have your AMC painted in black.....However no one has ever explained to me fleet colors, or how or why some years, like 73, ended up with a large number of black cars like AMX!
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx