Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2007 5:21 PM
Subject: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: NOS Stripes & Decals: New versus NOS

In a message dated 5/19/2007 5:14:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time, eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
NOS stripes and decals. Warning, while not really of dubious quality back then (AMC used mostly 3M....same shit Phoenix Graphix and others use in 2007)
The computerized technology used to create decal material of the 70's is light years behind that which is available today. Over the course of 30 years, 3M has made vast improvements in the chemical structure of vinyl as well as the adhesives used to make them stick.
Comparing 70's era decal material and adhesives to the decal and adhesive materials of today is analogous to comparing a 30 year old rotary phone to a modern day touch tone phone. Are they the same? Yep. Are they different -- yep, like night and day. Still unconvinced? When I bought my Gremmie in 75, I remember reading how important it was not to get car polish on the stripes. I did not listen and paid the price! Today, 3M vinyl has chemical and abrasion resistance that were only dreamt of in the 70s'.
Add this to the fact that the old technology adhesive that was sitting on those decals for 30 years is now chemically unstable you've got disaster on your hands.
There are too many solid reasons for steering clear of those old stripe kits folks. Unless, as Eddie aptly suggests, they will be used as a template, or as I suggested earlier, an AMC "shelf collectible."  Charlie

"Cool Factor X"

See what's free at AOL.com.