From: "royce deyaeger" <rooster700xc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2007 7:23 PM
Subject: '71 Gremlin

> Eddie, can you possibly help me with any knowledge to the history of the
> 71
> Gremlin drag racer my dad bought from Ebay last fall?  I am attaching the
> pics of the car in case they might help.  The guy who was selling it is a
> Gremlin nut, and told my dad it was featured in Hot Rod magazine at one
> point in time (though I have been unable to locate any history of this),
> and
> also claimed this car has been a drag racer pretty much since day one.
> There are a couple of NHRA safety inspected decals from the mid to late
> 70's
> in the front window and that is the only evidence I can find of this being
> true race car.  I'm not sure if you'll know anything about it, but I
> figured
> you are about the best person to ask.  Any information you do have will be
> greatly appreciated!  I was also wondering if you might know where I could
> possibly pick up the reflector panel between the taillights of a '71 SC360
> Hornet that I'm thinking about buying.  It's actually Thomas Johnson's car
> that is on your registry.  I'm just trying to get an idea of costs
> involved
> before I commit to buying the car from him.  Thanks alot Eddie.  Keep up
> the
> good work picking on the morons listing BS stuff on ebay!
>
> Royce DeYaeger
My reply:
Hi Royce, while I can't help you on this, several things should mention. As
for the NHRA safety decals, you can buy them at swap meets, sort of like
vintage inspection stickers. As for Hot Rod magazine, this is really a crap
shoot, as while it may/may not be legit, only if you find the particular
year and issue would you be able to prove it.

My suggestion would be to first find out where it was raced. That is, in a
region so if it was raced cometitively in say, Union Grove, one would
research Union Grove Wisconsin newspapers from that time frame with rare
results, also see if the track keeps records. Even lean on people from that
area asking if some remember it....chances are if it is a AMC...and was
raced.....in a certain area.....AMCers would remember and who knows could
get lucky with vintage photos of it launching or beating someone.

Like searching a car's title, you will have a task at hand with your
detective  work to look under every stone. However, as mentioned above, as
long as you can find out where this vehicle actually raced, it should be a
little easier.

On the rear panel, they pop up from time to time, mostly on ebay, expect to
pay abou t$100-$200 for a nice one. If you buy the SC/360 send me some
photos of it and also your information for the Registry to keep it current.
I'm headed towards 100 cars, and that has been a goal to document 100 of
them since 2001 when I took over that registry.

Also, just put new seats and stripe kit on my SC/360, photos enclosed. Take
care, be sure to look thru my own ebay stuff here, maybe see something else
you want or need:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZeddiestakesQQhtZ-1

shameless plug above.
Eddie Stakes