Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: 232 oil pump problem

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: 232 oil pump problem

I am with you, If it wasn't making noise I would try all those things before I would pull the engine. You might even want to buy yourself an oil gauge and install it. They are not that expensive and not that hard to hook up.
Terry

paxiljunki <paxiljunki@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
--- In BaadAssGremlins@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <baddassgremlin@...>
wrote:

> Very strange indeed....when the first pump went bad after 5 minutes,
> I would question whether machining debris was still in the engine, or
> improperly installed.

No machining debris was in the engine. It was immaculate.

>After the first pump was taken out, was any
> determination as to why it failed, discussed or did you just install
> another pump?

The new pump (Melling) stuck open. No debris caused it.

When the first pump failed there was a clatter when it stuck. This
second pump may not have failed - there's no noise like the first time
and the engine sounded fine right before I turned it off. I'm going
to try to eliminate other possible causes for the oil light flickering
on, such as the oil sending unit, an electrical short beginning to
occur, or a thoroughly gunked up oil filter. It's just shy of the
1000 mile oil change and with as tight as the engine was after being
rebuilt, there may be a lot of metal in the oil filter. At least,
these are the simple things I'm hoping for before turning to the worst
case scenario. At worst, the engine comes out again and the original
oil pump gets put back in. It worked fine but was replaced as a
precaution.

Thanks for the suggestions/questions.

pax

Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos. __._,_.___

Automotive maintenance Automotive radiators Automotive radiator repair