Re: [BaadAssGremlins] New intake and carb - In Place

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] New intake and carb - In Place

Dave,
 You should not have to torque the intake down enough to squeee out the end gaskets. If they are properly in place they will not squeeze out there is a lip on each side. Never had that issue. I even used them on my race engines.
 The exhaust crossover ports are as you guessed heat the air comming into the intake to aid with cold start and cold temperature running. Performance applications block this port off.
Glad to hear your project went well otherwise. You should have alot more fun now. Wait till you want more power and want to know what you can change next to get it. It is a disease and no way to cure it
 Davis
Dave Kaunisto <dave@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Just wanted to update the group on the installation of my new edelbrock
performer intake and carb. It's done!!! Makes a big difference in the way
the car runs, I still have some fine tuning to do and it will be an even
more baadass Gremlin!

Some lessons learned.

1. Don't use the rubber end pieces that came with the tin gasket! They
squeeze our when you torque the manifold down. The front one didn't come
all the way out and was still effective, the back one squeezed out in the
middle, but the ends stayed in place because of the rubber pins on each end.
In spite of the advice on this list and the very explicit instructions, we
put them in anyway. Rather than tear everything apart (as we didn't notice
they squeezed out for a couple of hours) we trimmed middle out of the back
rubber gasket and tried to fill the gap with RTV. Since the only purpose we
could figure for the end gaskets was to keep some of the oil vapor in and
dirt out, we didn't think a perfect seal was necessary. There shouldn't be
any pressure in the engine valley that should blow it out either. I'll
check this weekend to see how well it is holding up and patch if necessary.
If it is a complete failure, we'll do what we we were trying to avoid and
pull it all apart and put it back together.

2. Beware of used parts! I bought a used intake, and one of the thermostat
housing bolts was impossible to get out. Spent much time, broke the bolt
off, tried EZ outs, finally gave up and bought a new one. Luckily one was
available in town.

3. No problem with the throttle cable. the manifold has two sets of holes
that allowed us to move the bracket up & out. The plastic sleeve on the
carb end of the throttle cable was catching on the other end of the cable
sleeve when it returned, so we trimmed back the plastic and therefore part
of the cable itself is exposed at all times.

4. There is a stud for attaching the kickdown linkage to the transmission
that came with the manifold. We did have to fashion a small extension on
the kickdown linkage for it to reach the carb.

We couldn't understand the purpose for the center port in the intake
manifold, which appears to be linked to the exhaust. Is it to bring warm
air to the manifold and heat it faster? Why go to all the trouble of
keeping the hot oil off with the tin baffle when you're bringing in hot
exhaust?

Thanks again for all your advice.

Dave
72 Gremlin X 304

Automotive maintenance Automotive radiators Automotive radiator repair