[BaadAssGremlins] Re: NOS Grilles? (and NOS in general)

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: NOS Grilles? (and NOS in general)

I want to comment here.....annohying as it is! On the grilles, they simply have vanished in the last 7-10 years. Keep in mind that they are 30-40 years old. Some, that are unique to a few models or one year, command high prices. I had two nOS 70 Javelin grilles in stock 2 years ago, found in back of my warehouse I didn't know they were there; bought in the 80s. Sold one for $1500; the other for $2100..the buyers were asking if I had more. I can see this since both went to Trans Am Javelin owners.

The 68-69 AMX grilles has been reproduced and is excellent repro for under $300. Ironically, the 68-69 Javelin, which had production runs of 12x-20x times the 68-69 AMX the grille has never been reproduced and good used ones with tabs easily sail over $500, and NOS well over $1K. The wire meshes on 71-74 AMX have never been reproduced althought if I get my hands on another I will see what feasibility would be to do such. But they command $250-$600 alone, depending on how nice the stainless, rings and mesh is and of course ever important tabs. Some like metal Hornet grilles, also command well. While others peole finish their restorations and can't find the crowning touch...many like 70 AMX for instance; I could sell abuot 30 of them right now for $2000+ each NOS if I only had them.

Keep your eyes on this, put it under your WATCHED ITEMS on www.ebay.com here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AMC-NOS-1968-REBEL-GRILLE-SAME-AS-MACHINE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ140704QQihZ016QQitemZ260104723923QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

(item number 260104723923 if link breaks)

It has 9+ hours to go. Same grille was used for 68 Rebel and also 70 Machine, it is a Venturi type open face grille. I believe this will go between $500-$800. Note this don't include the surround chrome pieces whihc will set one back another $300-$500. I just sold my last upper stainless grille piece for $250 and wished I had more.

Bottom line is this: if you read some of my files written in the 1980s on my site like ALTERED AMCS or RAMBLER MENTALITY (or can google them) it warns of 'impending doom!' (hey I don't get to say that often) but it wanrs back in 1980s of severe parts crisis in years ahead. It happened a few years ago with some models and now is trickling down to other models. Sad but true, and will only get worse.

There are alternatives like making a billet grille, or as I told some Eagle guys, put a damned Spirit or Concord grille in their car, looks awesome although not stock. There are also some great plastic weld kits available at hobby stores one can fix their own grille too. However....for those of you wishing (or wanting) to replace your origial grille, tailight, soft or hard dash part, fender, hood or other obsolete item with genuine AMC NOS part, your choices are limited and getting thinner daily. As I wrote in Hemmings Muscle "don't let the parts crisis dissuade you from fixing up your AMC, as there have been more great reproduction parts come into the market in the last 10 years than the last 25 years alone!"

Good luck regardless and have fun with your AMC.
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx