[BaadAssGremlins] Mission Trip

Hello everybody,
I have finally made it back to the states from being on a mission trip to the Dominican Republic. There were around 20 of us who headed there to build a church and school a couple of weeks ago. A friend of the leader of the group, Pastor Tanis saw the need for a school for children who are not Dominican citizens and cannot attend public schools.  With help from many different sources money came in for him to buy a piece of land. Now five years later with several mission teams traveling there the first floor of the school is complete enough for classes to happen. There has been alot of work done to the church since I went down there last year.
Since wood rots so much and is so expensive there, their main building material is concrete. So the structures we have been working on are mostly cement block with rebar reinforcement. It was quite a shock to the system last year to see what kind of conditions the locals live in. They live in small buildings of tin or concrete, usually surrounded by fences. There also seemed to be garbage all over the place. This didnt seem to bother them though. They were always well kept with nice clothes and rarely did I see any without a smile on thier face.
     I  think over all I had a good trip there. Some of the group were sick for a day or two, but the work continued. It was fun playing with the kids there and trying to understand what there were trying to say, since they speak spanish.  A friend of mine is there for another month teaching english to the students.  Most of us were quite sore from using pick axes wheeling wheelbarrows, moving rocks or whatever else neede to be done. It was worth it and I am already trying to plan for next year.
On the island there are no inspections to speak of so there are many beat up vehicles all over the place. I searched high and low, but could not see any AMCs.
The only one I saw was the picture of my car on a tshirt my sister made me. I was very happy to see 2 Gremmys and a Spirit AMX in Car Craft in the San Juan airport.
I guess that is it for now. I had a great time, but it feels good to be back in the land of the AMCs. If it is ok I would like to post some pics when I get a chance.                                                        Luke

Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta. __._,_.___

Automotive maintenance Automotive radiators Automotive radiator repair