[BaadAssGremlins] Re: gas mielage (was: 73 AMC Hornet Carb question?)

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: gas mielage (was: 73 AMC Hornet Carb question?)

A huge selling point waa that AMC touted itself as "The Economy Experts" in
the 1970s. And too bad AMC didn't have a four cylinder anything in
production in 1972, as they would not have been the #4 US automaker! A
little Monday morning quarterbacking there, however, but everyone got caught
with panties down. By 1973 the flow had went to a trickle, so automakers
were scrambling to somehow deal with all the trade ins. The lot where my dad
was working in 1974 was a all-AMC dealership, and they were getting a lot of
big guzzlers in like Delta 88s, LTDs, and other "full size" cars.

And AMC's timing sucked, as no one could have predicted the OPEC embargo,
and the aftereffects on the US, and other word economies. By AMC had to
suddenly switch course with the only all new car introduced in 1974, the new
Matador coupe....which just looked BIG being front end heavy, and let people
know in their ads that 'it was economy based with a six cylinder'. Still, it
looked like a tank, not good into in middle of time when people are wasting
the better half of day sitting in line for a tank of gas. And that is only
if your license plate was even/odd numbered.

I believe Doc's Hornet hatchback originally came with a 16 gallon tank, at
least I think it did originally, unless from California. I know the
Concord's later came with 22 gallon tanks however. I think, and not sure
here, that AMC didn't start putting MPG (estimated miles per gallon)
information on their window stickers until 1977, but might have been
earlier.
http://www.planethoustonamx.com/amc_window_stickers/78WindowSticker.jpg
and not sure whether it was a requirement from government or just a
courtesy, chances are however it wad federal mandated.

My 81 Eagle wagon has a original 4cylinder, 4speed and gets 22mpg in city
and 29 on the highway. That from the NOS 81 brochure. Chances are with my
driving it is slightly less, but amazing mileage compared to what I get in
my 72 Ambassador SST wagon with 360/AT, about 11-17, depending.

Happy motoring,
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825