Sent: Sunday, August 06, 2006 8:44 PM
Subject: Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: wal-mart coughing up Gremlins and Pacers in Virgini...

Terry, on the 74 Gremlin by Fresh Cherries, my guess is that the reason why the 74 was chosen is possibly because of the high production numbers. 74s are simply easier to find and it also looks identical to 75 and 76. Just a guess, but sometimes these companies want to use a mold for multiples. A good example is JL with the AMX. They got about 15-18 different pressings out of that one mold, all sorts of colors, variants, drag cars, stock, changed rims, but many models from one single mold. So my guess, and that is all it is (and I have been dealing with JL since mid 90s, there is a file on my site about some of the development) is that possibly FC will make some more Gremlins, this time in other colors and variants, possibly drag car like Booth, Shahan, even though it would be incorrect year, they would fly off the shelves and into our little greed AMC hands!

Another mention here. Jo-Han one of the leading model makers, has several oddities like their mold, later used by Testor's was used for 69 SC/Rambler, 69 Pro street Rambler and 2 other versions, including this NOS one I have on feebait for $9.00:

Look closely, at the tailights, they are 66. But Jo-Han used same mld for other years. Same with the Follmer Javelin/1971 and the "You've Been Zapped" 72 AMX you build em models. It shows a 71 on the cover for the Follmer and a rear of a 72 with cheese grater lights on the Zapped, but open them up and wahhhh~ damned 73-74 tailight panel!!! I just got into one of my curio cabinets here (off limits to Jacob and Noah!) and opened this 71 Follmer Javelin model, note the tail panel on the box, yup, 73/74.

So my guess again is FC used a 74 as it is more 'recognizable' as a Gremlin and they can press more variations of it. Hope they do!
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@planethoustonamx.com