Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Bob King Drag car Gremlin

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Bob King Drag car Gremlin

Hi Terry, yea.....and no on this. With Donnie's Gremlin, while it has been in some media, one can't associate that with market value. A good example would be my 68 AMX The Red Death which had been featured in over a dozen magazines and calenders from mid 80s thru mid 90s. (shown here). I sold it for $3500 and the fellow died afterwards, then it was for sale here at the nationals in Houston in 2001 for $3000 again. Extremely well known car, modified/custom/ect but again, can't equate a car's exposure with what it may/may not be worth.

On that note, one could look at Donnie's change as 'upgrading' and think of the possibilities, and future exposure he would receive with that car once he puts it 'out there' again. All sorts of magazines come to mind from NAMDRA, Motor Trend, Hot Rod, and more.

It brings up the old stock vs custom I guess. But the problem is few cars in 2006 (AMC) are stock, my estimate, and that is all it is, is that 3%-5% are indeed stock. Many are over restored, or restored to whatever specifications from the individual owner. A good way to look at it was Ed Buscis AMX he had on ebay recently. We talked about a hour, as he is old customer and well, we talked about how restoration, restored, NOS, restified, all thewords used are all over the map when it comes to aMC. Nothing wrong with that, except some are abused. I would pick a survivor needing work over a restored car when judging for instance. It may have paint chips missing, a small bubble in rust, and tear in carpet, but the car should be judged against itself, but if in same class (like ISCA) with other similiar, this unrestored will get my nod. There was a thread Ed started ont he forum about his car, but like most threads over there, it mysteriously disappeared somehow. Damned Hezbollas.

I'm not sure what Donnie's car will look like when finished, however, there are a whole slew of 'stock' that is, for the most part, unaltered appearing, AMCs out there that have monsters lurking under hood. There was a regular looking AMX here in Houston at the nationals in 2001, and lift the hood and it was turbocharged!

Another example would be Louie Lanthrip's 73 Javelin. There is absolutely no way Kenosha could have built a car like this and kept price under $4000 when new. This car is far from 'stock' and won the Americas Cup in AMO, which is the highest award given by that organization. Again, it was judged against itself on it's merit, not like in ISCA or car shows where you have big group of say all 70-75 Gremlins are fighting for one trophy. Louie (and wife Carol) 73 Javelin is the brown one here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mightypilot/06AMONatAmericanCup

I agree, there will be a lot of people going home changing their Depends after they see Donnie's car, but chances are they will do that anyways now, as it is a nice car. He might consider making AMC red, white and blue AMC 'logoed' Depends to sell when he goes to meets after this conversion, as chances are he would sell out each place that 500hp Gremlin shows up.

One more thing on stock vs custom. Speaking for myself, I do not care what the cars are worth. My days of spending $250 for a date coded radiator cap are gone, went thru all that, been there, done that, in the 80s thru mid 90s and have a whole pile of 1 foot to 6 foot trophies piled in cornder of garage collecting dust from all sorts of shows. Now I am more into customizing. Again, just my choice at this stage in life. I commend and will try to help (my website is a reflection of this) anyone who wishes to try to put their car back in 2006 as 'stock' or 'stock appearing'. However, not for me, it is more of give me a bottle of Jager and Sawzall and let's chop the roof off this SC/360 and make a roadster. Hell, AMC did it with the Cowboy,
http://www.zitrotek.com/amchornet/Departments/Archive/AMCCowboy.asp
Yup, that is a 71 SC/360, 4barrel, 4speed.
why not now?

There is going to be room for all aMCs on the showfield, stock, custom, blown, drag, driver, parts car, non AMC power, whatever it may be, don't lose the fun aspect of it!

Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx