Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Battery drain

Charlie, I didn't hear if your car has an automatic trans. If it does, their's this 'transmission control spark relay' that is wired into the turn signal circuit. This thing shorted out on my wife's new '74 Gremmie and the only way I found it was by a most unorthodox method (I'm famous for that). I replaced the fuse 8 times and every time the turn sigs worked as the car idled in the drive, once I put it in gear the fuse would blow. I thought it was the flasher first; not. then maybe the neutral start switch; not. Finally I got an allen wrench and inserted it in the fuse panel in place of the turn sig fuse and wayted for the smoke. I got it alright and the item shorting out the system was that relay under the hood hooked to two vacume lines near the backof the intake manifold. The wires to it come out of the wire harness just before the wiper motor plug. After repairing about a foot of the harness under the dash and cutting the plug off this relay(asked one of my AMC tech's still in the know he said no big deal) everything is working ok now. Maybe I'm the only one with this problem (or maybe not). Just my .02  Gary 'The Mix'  ps......I don't recamend my method of finding shorts but OH WELL.

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS