Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Stripping paint from plastic Headlight doors?

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Stripping paint from plastic Headlight doors?

Brad I soaked mine for 3 days checking every 12 hours or so to see how
soft the paint had gotten. I also used a miniature version of those
steel wire brushed that had brass bristles on it. What paint remained I
sanded off with 320# sand paper and again with 400# before I re-painted
them. For the most part I found that most of the grill and headlight
doors and grill from the factory were basically plain black plastic and
only had the silver accents painted on them and silver over spray
touched up with black paint. God I would like to see how they painted
these on a production line. Fixing the plastic was 1/4 of the job. Prep
and masking the silver I could spray and hand painting the silver I
couldn't was a monumental task. You have a heads up on most people as
you build models. With out my modeling skills I would have been lost
from start to finish on this job. My grill has been in since last friday
and when I look at it all the long hours and hard work was well worth
it. Now that grill is in and the new rubber bumper insert is installed
the dull slightly pitted front bumper looks bad. New re-chrome'd front
and rear bumpers are the next big big money project.
"Doc"

--- Begin Message ---

Hey Doc, How long should I soak the headlight door in CSC?? I know I left a model soaking in it for over 2 years with no damage to the plastic but these hl doors are a different type of plastic.

Dennis jr Sinks <dsinks@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yeah, I actually have a huge blasting cabinet with starblast beadblast but it'll burn right through the plastic but wont warp thin gauge sheet metal.

 I have already tried on a broken Headlight door I had.  From 2 feet away it did enough damage to make me not want to try it on my good doors.

Thanks though..

Bradley Jones <wagonmasterx5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Does anybody in your area do beadblasting? Not sandblasting. Beadblasting can blast the paint from an aluminun soda can without damaging it.

deezildennis <dsinks@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Im not sure if I asked this yet but I have a Grill that had a horrid
paint job sometime back in the 80's and its partly flaking and thick!
The grill itself is good to go I was able to blow the paint off of it
with 125psi.......

The Headlight doors Ive chipped/Blown as much of it off as I can but
the stuff thats stuck.........Is st uck. Sanding is gonna suck and the
potential to ruin them is great.........

Im wondering if laquer thinner in a spray mist bottle would do the
trick.

Any thoughts, Idea's??

Do you Yahoo!?

--- End Message ---