[BaadAssGremlins] Modern Car Rubber Bumper Stripping Question, AMC Relat

[BaadAssGremlins] Modern Car Rubber Bumper Stripping Question, AMC Related

I have a question for anyone who has used a plastic bumper stripper on a
modern car. I am now finished with most of my small projects on my
orange Hornet and due to the rainy weather I decided to start stripping
the painted 77 Hornet AMX rubber/plastic flairs. I did a test last year
and found that SEM Bumper Stripper worked quite well and didn't seem to
damage them. I had a spare one to use for the test. Once I started
stripping them I found that they were painted white over the bare
rubber/plastic and then primed and painted white again. Needless to say
I have had to apply several coats of the stripper each time scraping off
a layer of paint. I am doing 1/3 of the flair at a time. I now notice
when I get down to the almost bare rubber/plastic the flair curls up and
warps slightly. But once the excess paint and stripper is removed and is
neutralized and the flair sits over night it returns to it's original
shape. Is this normal even on new cars? This is the first time I am
doing anything of this sort so I am totally in the dark. The flairs them
selves due to their age are slightly warped to start with, but nothing
that a jig to hold them in the proper shape and a little TLC with a heat
gun will not fix. Any one have any input on this?
"Doc"

http://us.click.yahoo.com/6pRQfA/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/YtqqlB/TM