Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Rear Tail Shaft Seal

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Rear Tail Shaft Seal

Terry a recent female high school grad working in my wife's office where
they ship business forms and checks all over the world told my wife that
Hawaii was a country and there was 52 states. They are constantly asking
her how to spell words because they can't even get the word close enough
for the spell checker in the computer to work. That makes a case for the
type of education you mentioned kids get now a days too. The guys at the
auto parts store go out of the way to find parts for me and all the
other customers with new cars. They also use the telephone to call
around to different warehouses besides their own to find somthing.
Rarely do I have to wait more than a day or two for a part. Three day's
for my idler arm from the Moog factory in Tennessee. Why can't the
chains do this?
 "Doc"

--- Begin Message ---

I agree with Doc take away the computer and the calculator and most people today are totally lost. Remember how long we spent on our multiplication tables Doc. My kids and the youngest is 21 took three days then the teacher sent a note home telling us the kind of calculator to buy. I doubt if the teachers knew them. As for as parts go I always if at all possible take the old part with me. When I lay it on the counter and they look at me like I have two heads and say what the hell is that. I get nervous. I know my 84 Ford Van has an engine out of a Crown Vic in  it. I found that out when the pipe that the air pump blows air into the exhaust manifold got a hole in and started making noise. I took the part to the dealer and ask for it for a 84 Van with a 302. The guy brought out a pipe that didn't look anything like the pipe I had. He looked at his computer again and said if you don't know what engine is in your Van I can't help you. The manager loo ked at my pipe went back and brought out a couple of more. One matched. He looked the part number looked it up in a book and said it was off of a 85 Crown Vic. I said I guess some one swapped engines in it. He said probably then again there might be a bunch of 85 Crown Vics with 84 Van engines in them. He said it was the same engine just some external parts were changed. One guy just knew the computer the other guy used his brain. I agree with Doc it seems the independents will work with you more with the odd ball parts.Maybe it is because most either own the place or they have a big interest in it. With so many parts on our cars being the same as parts for Fords, GM's and even Mopars that is a big hep. I can remember when there wasn't any chains. There used to be 6 independents close to me. Now there is only one. The chains ran the rest out of business. Kind of sad.
Terry
AMC74HORNET@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Luke my experience with chain stores is poor. Most of them can't or
don't know how or are too lazy to find a part if it is not listed on a
computer screen. Never mind what a cross over part no# book is. There
are a lot of parts from different cars that all interchange. I have 71
Torino gas shocks in the front of my yellow 74 Hatchback . When Autozone
said that an idler arm was no longer available for my car my local
non-chain store had one for me in 3 days right from the factory in
Tennessee. I could go on and on about the other bad experiences over the
years with all of the chain stores. I got to the point that I only go to
a chain store for a floor mat or a door edge molding, my local non-chain
store gets me all the parts I need including a new 21 gallon gas tank
and the straps for my orange Hornet. The only thing they couldn't get
was a fuel gauge sender for the tank. That I got a NOS one from Kennedy
American. The computer age has left most people not knowing how to use
their brain. Shoes and sneakers closing with velcro so now they can't
tie a shoe lace, calculators allowed in schools to take math tests with
so they can't add or subtract or multiply without one, mechanics who
can't trouble shoot a car and repair it unless a machine tells them
what's wrong with it. I'll keep my old dependable cars and old
dependable brain and my non-chain auto parts store that I have delt with
for 21 years.
"Doc"