Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Nationals

Terry I would bring some oil, maybe some tranny fluid, antifreeze,
elect. & duct tape  and the hoses and belts you mentioned and a small
road service tool box with enough tools to change a hose or belt. This
may seem like a lot but it will all fit into a small box. On the A/C I
am not sure which gas your car takes. If it is the old R-12 that is not
available over the counter any more. You have to gave a license to buy
it and it is very expensive. They do make kits to convert the old R-12
to I think the new freon is R-134 or something like that. The A/C didn't
work in my orange Hornet when I bought it. A mechanic friend who is also
the AMC guy that got me the car and puts on the Ardsley show had a case
of the old R-12 and put in a can of sealer/dye and 1 1/2 cans of R-12 2
years ago and the A/C still works fine. Pick the items you will need for
minor repairs and make up your road kit. Also a can of flat fix would be
good to have too. For anything else I hope you have some kind of road
assistance plan. I have 2 one with the AARP and a free one with my
classic car insurance. Have a good trip. You will find that when you are
with people who appreciate our brand of cars you will not be able not to
engage in conversation and make friends.
"Doc"

http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/YtqqlB/TM

--- Begin Message ---

Thanks that is what I wanted to know. I know it is hard to believe but I am not a big talker. I won't know anyone there and since my lovely better half isn't going didn't want to sit in the back of this thing while they give out awards. This might be OK. Oh I decided just to put it in the display class. I didn't get anything done to it and I know I won't in the next few weeks. I know I worry too much. I was telling that guy at work that has the Mustang that I meet at the car shows that I thought I would take a set of belts, radiator hoses, heater hose and I was thinking even of bringing an oil filter and oil with me along with my tool box tape wire brake fluid etc. he said I was nuts. He told me to forget most of that stuff and stick a can of freon in the A/C and see if it would work. He is probably right.
Terry

Eddie Stakes <eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Terry, this depends. I can however tell you whether you think you will win something or not it is fun. I go especially if the host club has a Guest Speaker. This is usually someone associated with American Motors.

The most memorable banquet (AMO) I can recall? In Kenosha in 1998, the banquet was going to be held at the Italina American club, possibly one of the larger places that could hold 300-400 AMCers up there. It was sold out and filled to capacity. Everyone had showered, some had napped, some were wound up from the days.....and weeks....activities, this was the final curtain call. It was a great place to see friends and other AMCers you had met in a more relaxed atmosphere.

We (Houston chapter) sat near the drunks of the Ohio chapter who obviously had been imbibing the whole day, but were a great group. There was also a bar which was doing good business too. When the guest speaker sat up his show projector and paperwork, I joked with Paige that these guys won't shut up so we would have to move to hear the speaker.

The speaker was Chuck Chamakian, who was one of the leaders on the design team for AMCm especially for the 71 AMX and Javelin. The AMO officers shushed the crowd several times, giggles and other little noises broke out. When chuck tookt he mike and started talking the whole pla ce was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. No one got up to order a beer, no one coughed, no one giggled, no one did shit. This was a living piece of American Motors history who had a hand in just about every person's car that was in that room. He brought out stunning xrays, drawings, sketches and so forth, most of whihc had never been seen. He talked about the difficulty and complexicity of desiging, and marketing a 'new' Javelin and AMX (for 1971) when sales for 1970 had been in the toilet and disappointing.

It was simply spellbinding to sit there and listen to this fellow. Even the drunks at the Ohio table were quiet. He got a standing ovation, and a number of people went up to congratulate him, thank him, for showing up and even more got his autograph. He is dead now.

When the awar ds came later, a good friend of mine, Dennis Raffensperger of Lawton, OK had taken his 68 Javelin up to Kenosha. Dennis had first brought his pice of shit six color Javelin to the first Regional here in Houston in 1991 and I met him for the first time face to face, quite a really nice fellow. I told him to go park his Javelin in the field over at Bear Creek as I thought it had gangrene or herpes and could infect other cars, it was really, and I mean REALLY sunblistered paint. He busted his ass restorting that car himself in OK for the next several years. I saw it at the Regionals here in Houston in 98 and could not believe it was same car! Well, he also in that time frame had went from a 250 big burly boy to a thin sickly looking man, as he had been diagnosed with esophagus cancer even though a non smoker.

At the Nationals, he was on even ground with everyone else, and won a Bronze, quite a feat if anyone had seen that car before. I took his photo getting his trophy at the Nationals, and it is in one of my scrapbooks. Paige and I congratulated him and he told me that 'the doctor urged him to go' which he did. It was his finest moment, but his last.

Him and his two brothers drove back to OK and Dennis died three days later after this great accomplishment. He was in his 30s. Dennis was the kind of AMCer who would be first to show up at a meet location, set up tent, trash barrels, park cars, sell sodas, anything and would usually be last with me to leave. Some of you who are in AMO remember my article I wrote about this fellow after the Nationals, and also on the amxfiles in 1998. It is a real tear jerker, but when a person crosses your path that makes a real difference, a positive influence, in your life, I guess a small mention of them is fine?

I still give out Dennis Raffensperger Memorial Awards 8 years later at meets and also tell the people what it represents. It represents the best that is in all of us, even under duress. Dennis never complained, never whined, he just continued restoreing his car best he could under the circumstances and when he was not weak. And what a job he did.

Point is this. There was someone on here (and I don't remembe who) wanted to know whether they shuold go to a show a month or so ago, they did, and had fun. The people are what make the meets and unfortunately, you don't know if you will ever see them face to face again. Yes, you can email them, or talk on phone, but nothing like seeing a AMC friend at a meet. And the memories of these meets, big or small, and the paths you cross and friendships you forg e.....to borrow a credit card line....are priceless. Hope you enjoy the meet, and if any tickets, hope you enjoy the banquet.
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx