Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Gas odor

Dan be careful, as many 'designed gas blends' we have here in the US will
rot out hoses and lines and gaskets. Check and replace all your fuel lines
from carb, to fuel pump, and follow your metal line along the framerail
under car. I kept smelling gas awhile back on my 71 Matador and it had not
one, but two metal fuel lines and just in front of the driver side wheelwell
they connected and a small rubber line there was cratered so sucking air and
dripping gas. As long as i have been fooling with these cars never have seen
a original setup like that and this was original, on that 14,000 mile 71
Matador I had.

Usually however when you smell gas, it is coming from front of car, but also
have had the small hoses from tank to frame go bad, they look good, but are
mushy and many times cracked. Check them too, but don't be a Aggie and check
with lighter.

Some of you remember me almost taking out southwest Houston with my 71
SC/360 at a Diamond Shamrock station. Put a few dollars in the tank, then
started to drive off and a fellow came running after me yelling. I thought
it was a homeless or drunk AMC fan, but he yelled 'you're pouring gas out!!'
of which the SC/360 had laid a trail of gas fromt he pump to Richmond
avenue, about 30-40 yards. I quickly shut off car, as this car has illegal
dumps, and the headers and pipes drop out right in front of the
differential, which in this case, was right were the hose had given away and
gas was flowing out.

I decided to risk it, and also all the people at that station, hell they
were on cell phones and would not have noticed the block incerating, but
quickly cranked it up and drove one block home, no problems but scared the
hell out of me!

The photo here is of another gas problem, but this one was me eating a one
pound burrito at Casa Grande. That 77 AMX seat was not intended for
Chernobyl. Paige lept from the car at 80mph when I downloaded that file. I
think this is where AMC got the name for their vinyl called
Vent-i-lair......
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825