Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Petronix

Todd, Your right. If an AMC already has an electronic distributor then the Pertronix conversion will not work. One would need to get a pre-'75 Delco distributor and replace that POC, bypass the ignition module on the wheelwell and modify the plug connection on the ign coil (those coils do not have threaded studs on them like the std ign ones).  Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: Todd Tomason <jayscore@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wed, 31 May 2006 21:56:22 -0500
Subject: Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Petronix

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I thought that the Pertronix was a
replacement for the points and condenser.  If you already have an electronic
ignition it doesn't fit.  You would probably be able to use the Pertronix if
you switched in an older distributer.  I'm not sure what year they changed.
Around 75?

You also mentioned a computer with the Prestolite ignition on your 77 258.  I
don't think you have a computer.  Are you talking about a module that is
mounted on the inner fender?  (Probably on the passenger side.)  This is an
ignition module.  You would not need this module with the Pertronix.  It has
its own ignition module that fits under the distributor cap.

Todd

On Wednesday 31 May 2006 11:57, Dan M. wrote:
> Hal,
>
> I also have a Prestolite in my 77 amx w/258.  If I go with the
> Petronix, do you know if I can get rid of the computer, or do I have
> to keep it?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan
>
> --- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Hal <strlcuckoo_46@...>
>
> wrote:
> > Charlie,
> > I've been running it in both my 68 Javelin and 74
> > Gremlin for over 6 years now with no problems. Plus
> > you can carry the old parts with new points and
> > condensor and change over in no more then 30 minutes
> > if you want.
> > Hal
> >
> > --- crbacsw@... wrote:
> > > In a message dated 5/30/2006 7:31:16 PM Eastern
> > > Daylight Time,
> > > Plumpy72@... writes:
> > >
> > > Charlie,
> > >
> > > Petronix is the brand name for a conversion kit.
> > > Using this kit, you can
> > > replace the points and condenser with an electronic
> > > module and pick-up. This  way
> > > you can keep the look of a "factory" points
> > > distributor but have the
> > > reliability of an electronic ignition.
> > >
> > > I have one on my 401.
> > >
> > > Rick
> > >

> > > My 75 has the stock Prestolite electronic ignition,
> > > but they have a poor
> > > track record. Have you found the Petronix
> > > dependable?
> > > Charlie
> >
> > Hidden in Wichita Falls TX

<FONT COLOR="#000099">Get to your groups with one click. Know instantly when new
email arrives
</FONT><A HREF=""http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/YtqqlB/TM" target=_blank>http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/YtqqlB/TM"><B>Click
Here!</B></A>