Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Rack and pinion steering

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Rack and pinion steering

Also to completely rebuild the steering on my Gremlin
with all new componets, not including ball joints and
bushing, is going to cost over $350.00 in parts, and
then you still have an outdated system.  My goal is to
make my car as fast and safe as possible, including,
updating the the steering and brakes.
Ed

--- twa1950@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I think I have to agree with Doc on this one. That
> steering is something I don't think I would want to
> mess with. I guess if you were making a dragster out
> it but to start messing with it on a daily driver I
> don't believe I would.  I just don't see where the
> big advantage unless it would be weight. When I get
> behind the wheel of my Gremlin I expected it to
> drive different than my rice burners. The loose
> steering, the manual breaks, the ride is all part of
> the experience. I see these guy who take the old
> cars and put all the modern conveniences on them and
> I think they loose a lot. How do you have 50's
> nostalgia when you are surrounded by 2000's luxury.
> Might as will buy you one of those 50 Ford kits and
> stick it on your 90 T-Bird.
>   Terry
>
> AMC74HORNET@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>   You read my mind Gary. Certified welder or not it
> is not an acceptable
> or safe method to weld steering components.
> "Doc"

>     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
> Yahoo! Terms of Service.
>

> ---------------------------------
>

> To: BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> From: themixtoo@xxxxxxx
> Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 10:44:19 -0400
> Subject: Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Rack and pinion
> steering
>
>       Ed, I have installed a rack-n-pinion setup off
> an old Subaru (manual unit off '80-84, cheap as dirt
> around here Like 40-50 bucks at the JY). I'm still
> sorting out this thing. I cut the jap metric inner
> tie rods off and welded the AMC inner theaded tie
> rod end to it. Made custom mounts welded to the
> front crossmember and shortened the steeing column
> shaft, installed two universal joints and the Subaru
> flex joint at the rack end. It's not perfect yet but
> like I said I'm still 'tweaking' it. This is on
> 'The Mix 2'. I'm sure someone makes outer tie rods
> that would fit the AMC spindle and have the same
> metric thread as the 'Ru inner tie rod so no welding
> would be neccisary, but at the time I started this
> conversion I had some time constraints. And yes Doc
> I know welding in the steering system is a NO-NO but
> I've never had a problem yet (allways made sure I
> had a certified welder doing the final welding for
> me).  Gary 'The Mix'

http://mail.yahoo.com

Everything you need is one?click away.? Make Yahoo! your home page?now.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/YtqqlB/TM