Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: 77 AMX leaf springs wanted

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: 77 AMX leaf springs wanted

Dan,
 You will need to grind down the stub some and drill the hole in the spring perch bigger to fit the step.
 otherwise you risk the rear end moving.
 Davis

"Dan M." <vegadan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Well, I got the springs in, but I noticed that the spring pads or
perches that are welded to the bottom of the axle, do not contact
the top of the spring, like the original springs did. There is
about 1/16" gap between the top of the spring and the bottom of the
pad. I tried unistalling and reinstalling the springs, but it
didn't help. I noticed that the stub that is on top of the spring
which fits into the hole in the axle pad, is taller than the
original spring. I also noticed that the stub has a brim where it
enters the sprimg (the bset way to describe the stub and brim is
that it looks like a derby hat). I thought about trimming the stub,
but because of the brim, the pad will still not come into conatct
with the spring. With this gap, will the axle rotate on
acceleration? Should I place some pieces of the old springs between
the pad and the spring to close up the gap? Any help would be
appreciated since this has turned into a big pain.

Thanks,
Dan

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dan M." wrote:

> I tried installing just the bushings in the eyelet, and tightening
> up the shackles. The busihngs did tighten up some in the eyelet,
> but I felt it was still a little loose. Then I got the idea of
> putting just a strip of the red rubber in the eyelet with the
> bushings, insted of making a full sleeve. When I put in about a
1"
> wide strip and installed the bushings, things tightened up pretty
> nicley without getting too snug. I was able to rotate the shackle
> about the bolts by hand, which is something I couldn't do with the
> full red rubber sleeve. So, I'm thinking that this is the way to
> go. Any comments?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan
>
> --- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dan M." wrote:
> >
> > Ok, I just got off of the phone with Espo and I'm not sure what
> > do. According to the person that I talked to, the leaf eyelets
> are
> > made with a tolerance of about +/- 1/16". I guess that all
> > manufactured items have tolerances, but it seems a little
> excessive
> > since the bushing pretty much giggles around in the eyelet. I
was
> > told that once the shackles are tightened, the bushing will
expand
> > to make up the space. Supposedly, they have answered this
> question
> > before, and have never had a problem. Now I'm wondering if
> my "fix"
> > is the right thing to do (after it's already in the car!). When
> > said that adding the red rubber made things snug, I really meant
> > snug! The only way that the the bolts would pivot inside the
> > busings (even after adding grease to be able to assemble them)
was

wrote:

> > > Doc, my car is a 6/4 speed amx. It doesn't have a front sway
> > bar.
> > > I was thinking of adding both a front and a rear sometime down
> the
> > > road. The car is not really fast, but it is a lot of fun to
> > drive.
> > > Plus, I have plans for some minor mods for some extra hp.
> > >
> > > Onree, you are correct, this is a question that I will contact
> > Espo
> > > about, since I bought everything from them. Unfortunately,
they
> > > won't be in their office until Monday, and I was hoping to get
> the
> > > car on the road this weekend. I imagine that I would have to
> wait
> > > for them to send me another pair of springs, or bushings that
> will
> > > fit the ones that I have, but I figure that as long as my
> solution
> > > is ok, I will get it together this weekend, and then call them
> on
> > > Monday and see where it goes.
> > >
> > > Thanks for all the input guys.
> > >
> > > Dan

> the
> > > folks at
> > > away with

> > > me! I
> that
> > > had a
> > > lower
> > while
> > > the
> > > turned out
> > > questions

> > 1/16"
> that
> > > then
> > use
> > comments
> > > on

> > > Using old
> had
> > my
> on
> > > many
> > have
> > > had
> > had
> > > a few
> > these
> of
> > > HD gas

You can search right from your browser? It¿s easy and it¿s free. See how.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/YtqqlB/TM