Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Restoring A Plastic Emblem With Modeling Skills

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Restoring A Plastic Emblem With Modeling Skills

Doc,
 I can't wait to see it when it's done.It's gonna be better then factory new
 Davis

AMC74HORNET@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Well I am down to the last body emblem. All the rest of them were metal
but this one is plastic. The Castrol Super Clean stripped off all the
old paint and chrome.
I used moder's Bare Metal foil for the chrome on the AMC letters and the
edging of the R/W/B AMC emblem. I got out the can of the orange paint
that matched the car and hand painted the edges and between the letters
and emblem orange like I did on the 3 metal Hornet emblems. When it
tacked up I sprayed 2 coats of Plasti-kote clear engine enamel on it to
seal the foil and orange paint into each other and popped it into my
dehydrator to bake. I also used model sheet plastic to make the new
R/W/B insert and painted it Plasti-kote white primer and then with
Plasti-kote gloss white Super Enamel. That too is now baking. This
afternoon I will paint the blue on the emblem and the red tomorrow and
then the clear the following day. Then glue it into the base with 2 step
epoxy and I am done. About 5-6 hours work total and nothing for
materials as I already had everything including the double stick tape to
mount the emblem on the car. As usual my modeling skills came in real
handy and the end result will be an emblem that you will have to get up
really close to see it is not original. :-)~
"Doc"