Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: 77 AMX leaf springs wanted

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: 77 AMX leaf springs wanted

They might be right, with the red rubber you added everything might be
to tight now. Like I said I have their shackles and bushing's in both
cars and their new springs in my orange car without a problem.
"Doc"

--- Begin Message --- Ok, I just got off of the phone with Espo and I'm not sure what to
do.  According to the person that I talked to, the leaf eyelets are
made with a tolerance of about +/- 1/16".  I guess that all
manufactured items have tolerances, but it seems a little excessive
since the bushing pretty much giggles around in the eyelet.  I was
told that once the shackles are tightened, the bushing will expand
to make up the space.  Supposedly, they have answered this question
before, and have never had a problem.  Now I'm wondering if my "fix"
is the right thing to do (after it's already in the car!).  When I
said that adding the red rubber made things snug, I really meant
snug!  The only way that the the bolts would pivot inside the
busings (even after adding grease to be able to assemble them) was
once the springs were bolted in, the weight of the car forced the
spring flat so that the shackle would rotate around the shackle
bolts.  I will check the "bushing expansion" theory tonite.

Dan
--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dan M." <vegadan@...> wrote:

> Doc, my car is a 6/4 speed amx.  It doesn't have a front sway
bar.
> I was thinking of adding both a front and a rear sometime down the
> road.  The car is not really fast, but it is a lot of fun to
drive.
> Plus, I have plans for some minor mods for some extra hp.
>
> Onree, you are correct, this is a question that I will contact
Espo
> about, since I bought everything from them.  Unfortunately, they
> won't be in their office until Monday, and I was hoping to get the
> car on the road this weekend.  I imagine that I would have to wait
> for them to send me another pair of springs, or bushings that will
> fit the ones that I have, but I figure that as long as my solution
> is ok, I will get it together this weekend, and then call them on
> Monday and see where it goes.
>
> Thanks for all the input guys.
>
> Dan
>
> --- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Onree <onree@> wrote:
> >
> > This may seem obvious, but why not address this question to the
> folks at
> > ESPO??? Did you get the bushings from ESPO also? Suppliers get
> away with
> > this stuff because we let them.
> > Onree
> >

> > on 4/28/06 11:36 PM, Dan M. at vegadan@ did write:
> >
> > > Ok.  I got home today and my new springs were there to greet
> me!  I
> > > was so excited.  I started to put them in, but I realized that
> had a
> > > problem.  The rear spring eyelet is slightly bigger than the
> lower
> > > shackle bushing.  The eyelet is about 1 1/16" in diameter,
while
> the
> > > bushing is 1".  I measured the old spring's eyelet, and it
> turned out
> > > to be 1" also, so I think maybe Espo made a mistake.  So my
> questions
> > > are, has anybody else encountered this, and what did they do?
> > >
> > > I went to the hardware store and got a piece of red rubber,
1/16"
> > > thick.  I fashioned a sleeve that fit inside the eyelet, that
> then
> > > slipped the bushing into.  It was all very snug, so I had to
use
> > > grease to get it all together.  It fit real snug.  Any
comments
> on
> > > this solution?
> > >
> > > Thanks,