Re: [BaadAssGremlins] My big score

Don't get me wrong Eddie I am a big fan of AMC sixes but if you are
going to by a (don't hit me Bart) Javelin pony car why buy it with a
six? back then gas was 30-35 cents a gallon and the V8 options were
cheap. I am happy as a pig in chit that my latest Hornet has a 258 six
but I wouldn't complain if it had a 304. Driving a slightly modified for
gas mileage 304 would give you the same mileage as a 258 and tire
spinning power when you wanted it. I have embarrassed a few of those
chit canned muffler'd ricers at a traffic light now and then with the
orange cars six. Love the low end torque of a six for every day street
driving. Now to get the tranny rebuilt with a B&M Trans Pack set on
firm.
"Doc"

--- Begin Message --- Eh, I am a big fan of six banger Javelins, and always kep them stock sixes.
I'm a V8 man, but hell, you can do a lot with a AMC six also, but I simply
like to keep them stock, great gas mileage and great looks. Sort of like
older Mustang or Cougar with six.

One 68 Javelin I used to have I drove regularly between Corpus Christi and
Houston, and it was a 232, AT, on a 16 gallon tank I would use 12 gallons on
a 220 mile trip, rather decent. I try that with say, my convertible Machine
with 401 and it has a penchant to sniff out every Citgo, Conoco and Shamrock
station along the route!

If you ever go to some of the national meets, take a extra minute or two to
check out two cars that come to mind, both Javelins. One is the stunning 69
red Javelin owned by the Knapp's in Kenosha, six banger, I believe it won
the America's Cup so retired from active showing now. The other is a 70
Javelin in Big Bad Orange I sold to Carter Schmidt in Minnesota...built in
the first week of production Aug 69. Unusual as it was loaded, AC, PS, PSB,
tint, console, you name it, and then you open the hood and there is skinny
Kate Moss looking factory 258! You would think that it would have some 900hp
blower induced whatnot, but no, trusty six. He restored that car and you
have to see it to believe it, better than showroom. And a six.

Unfortunately, while most of us would rather waste a set of rear tires at a
stoplight putting away brand x, the sixes are something to discover again,
especially with gas hitting $3 a damned gallon this summer. American Motors
had it right witrh their misery cars in the early 60s, and then had to play
catch up again in 74/75 with OPEC embargo. So before you gut and toss the
six, have some fun with it.

And for those of you who might not consider a six race fodder, I sell copies
of AMC Power Book which has some info in it about sixes. So does Performance
American Style, I also sell copies of. Or I could point you to Ed Fernandez,
I still remember seeing him run that six Gremlin at Cecil
County......putting up 11's....

As for the topic of this called 'the big score' I just figured someone was
sleeping with my ex wife again!
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825