Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Weird charging system problems

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Weird charging system problems

Was the car a V8 car originally? Which side of the car is the A/C
compressor on? Drivers or pass? I can only speak from experience putting
a Delco in my son's 72 V8 360 Javelin. The A/C compressor is on the pass
side with the alt. under it. The slightly larger size of the Delco
interferes with the A/C compressor. Since his car has no A/C the kit he
bought from Kennedy bolted right in. I wouldn't waste my money on any
installation kit. Make or modify your existing brackets and make it fit.
I bought the so called kit for my 74 6 cyl conversion and it was
useless. I modified the upper adjusting bracket. Used the Motorola alt
fan on the Delco after having the center drilled out to fit the Delco
shaft. The Delco alt also had to have the housing ground down for
clearance at the steering box and also the edge of the top cover of the
steering box had to be slightly ground. The alt steering box clearance
problem was because the car had the larger power steering box. It was a
big pain in the a$$ job but well worth it. You could always modify the
A/C compressor bracket to move the compressor for additional clearance
or change to a modern smaller Sanderson A/C compressor. You should know
by now nothing AMC is ever easy.
"Doc"

--- Begin Message --- -Doc...i definatley want a Delco on my Gremlin V8 401 conversion . It
will have all MSD ignition. BUT...the car has factory A/C that still
works. I want to retain the A/C. Now..Jeff Kennedy told me that the
Delco kit...WILL NOT fit..with A/C. He does not know exactly why...but
his manufacturer told him no way will it fit???-- In
BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "jgray_55" <jgray_55@...> wrote:

> Doc...i had called Jeff Kennedy with a large parts order. I had
asked
> about the Delco conversion kit(thats what i wanted)...he suggested
the
> 51amp Motorolas that he had in stock. My fault for trying one i
> guess!! --- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, AMC74HORNET@ wrote:
> >
> > I went through 3 of them 35 amp Motorola pieces of crap on my orange
> > Hornet when I got it 2 1/2 years ago and the cure was to install a
100
> > amp 1 wire Delco. Not an easy job on a 6 cyl with power steering.
But
> > well worth the final result. I will never own another AMC with a
> > Motorola.
> > "Doc"

--- End Message ---