RE: [BaadAssGremlins] Grills & Plexiglass

RE: [BaadAssGremlins] Grills & Plexiglass

Bill at least one good thing is I don't have a problem with the
headlight doors. They were fine and I also have a spare set I got in
that bunch of parts I got from Davis. The only problem was the time it
took me to mask them up properly to spray paint the silver. I think it
took 2-3 hours a headlight door. The grill is going to be a nightmare to
mask as there are 6 different sections. After painting the silver with a
spray can I still have to paint the edge of each individual rib in each
of the 6 sections by hand with a brush. I still have a few
re-enforcement ribs to install yet and make the tabs on each side of the
grill to hold the plastic plug that the headlight screws to. I have
already used up almost 2 tubes of the Plastic Welding System epoxy. I
think I will pick up another one just in case so I don't run out. I
added 12 small plexiglass ribs between the 6 grill sections and and an 8
inch piece of 1/2 inch square plexiglass in the notched area for the
hood latch release. I was amazed how much stronger the whole grill is. I
still have to notch and round off the 1/2 inch square piece a little but
it will still be much stronger as this was the biggest weak point in the
whole grill. I guess AMC never figured we would still be driving
Hornet's and Gremlin's after 36 years. :-)
"Doc"

--- Begin Message ---

I know where your coming from Doc....I am not sure how many HOURS I have just into the headlight buckets that I have been doing all week. I made a mistake the other day that sent me back also. I tried to use a cheaper glue. Same brand, said that it had a 15 min. bond time, dried clear...stuff must of been old or somthing...took over a day for the crap to weld itself to the plexiglass.....Needless to say I dont use that glue anymore!! One little trick I tried and worked was to use a torch so that the plexiglass was pliable and could bend to the shape of the bucket. Not to the point of melting, but just enough so that it could bend with out breaking. What I plan on using for the inside of the bucket is a brand of paint called "plastic coat". Its an enamel paint and I have used it with good success with other projects. It usually comes in a jar and has to be applied with a brush, but I did find some in a spray can at my local wallyworld. And the Dremel tool......LIFE SAVER!! I cut plexiglass with it, I have made new mounting points for the ones that have been busted off...if the plexiglass is sticking out to far, just whack it off with the Dremel tool. Works good for ruffing up the plastic so stuff will stick to it. I do have a few small cracks that I couldnt get back to their original position, so I am going to try to use a little spot putty and some sanding to take care of the cracks. I just hope that the spot putty will stick to plastic as well as it sticks to bondo. I am going to use an old grille first, kind of like a template, before I attempt to re-enforce the n.o.s. grille that I plan on using. There are alot of places that need to be re-enforced....I to have noticed that why are these grilles...so cheap and flimsie??  Bill Id.