[BaadAssGremlins] Re: 258 headers for a 77 hornet

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dan M." <vegadan@...> wrote:

> I think this subject may have been posted before, but I can't seem to
> find it, so I'm sorry to be bringing it up again.  I found a single
> outlet header for a jeep cj7 and am wondering if it'll fit on my 77
> hornet.  This header has a single collector, and all the exhaust
tubes
> appear to sweep toward the back, possibly clearing the motor mount.
> This is not the headers with the dual collectors where the front 3
> exhaust tubes angle toward the front and then curve back under the
> motor mount.  I'm curious if anybody else has used this header in
this
> type of application.  I looked at my car and it seems like it might
> fit, but I'd like to be sure before I fork over the money.  I'm also
> not sure if they would hang too low.  Thanks for any input.
>
> Dan
>   Dan, what brand are these headers? If my memory serves me right, I
beleive that they might be Clifford Performance and I do believe that
if they are Cliffords they are made for a jeep. If you can find out(who
made them) your best bet would be to contact the manufacture. What kind
of tranny ya got also makes a difference. If ya got an auto with the
shifter on the floor you wont have any clearence problems, but if your
shifter is on the colum...forget it. You will have to have an
aftermarket ratchet shifter. But if ya got a 3 or 4 speed on the floor
you should be all right. I have Cliffords on my Gremlin (258) and they
are a dual outlet. (3 tubes into 1 collector) and I do have some ground
clearence problems. (speed bumps suck!) What I did to fix that was weld
a small skid plate to the lowest part of the header. Better to pound
the skid plate then the header itself. What you should do before you
shell out your cash for this header, is contact Clifford Perfomance 6=8
they got a web site and have knowlegable people there. They are the
only ones that I know of who make headers for inline sixes, all though
Hooker and Headman might, I dont know. I stick with what I know will
fit. You maybe able to pick up a brand new pair that are made for the
car cheaper than what you have to pay for a used set. Hope this makes
some sence to ya. Good luck! Bill Id.