Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: Parts car

Moth ball also keeps rodents like wild stray cats at bay too.
"Doc"

--- Begin Message --- --- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, AMC74HORNET@... wrote:

> Paul that sounds like a real good parts car but 500$ as a reserve
seems
> a bit much. But like anything else it is supply and demand. It may
be
> worth it to you to get those hard to find parts you need for your
own
> car and sell the rest. I have parted out a few cars over the years
and
> always made my money back and then some. The only draw back is the
extra
> parts may not sell immediately so you better have a place to store
them.
> I just gave away the glass out out of the 4 door Concord I parted
out in
> 2000. But on that car it was a friends car and I got to keep all the
> parts he didn't want so I got a disc brake setup and other parts I
> needed for free and made money selling what was left. The rear and
disc
> brake set up is in my yellow Hornet and the radiator and other small
> assorted parts are in my orange car. I bought an 82 Spirit for 50$
in
> 1999 and sold the extra parts for 800$ but large items like the
doors,
> fenders and hatch and hood didn't sell for 3-4 years, I sold them
as a
> package for 200$ just to get rid of them. A guy in N.J. just needed
> door and I said it was all or nothing. I needed the room. So he
took it
> all. Like Eddie says sheet metal will be hard to find soon if not
now. I
> would have kept the Spirit sheet metal parts but they did not fit
my one
> Hornet at the time. When Davis parted out the 74 Hornet coup I
bought
> all the good sheet metal parts he had because I have 2 74 Hornets
now.
> So here are the pro's and con's about parting out a car and
remember no
> part is to small to save. The headlight switch out of that long gone
> Spirit may go in my orange car soon.
> "Doc"
>

> I went and looked at that parts car today. It's a 78 and had mice
living in it till recently. Big surprise!  There's still some good
stuff on it. Motor is not stuck, auto trans, front fenders and hood,
front turn signals , some good stainless trim , all the glass is
good , guage cluster , all the interior trim pieces are intact and
are black  , glove box door The front bench and rear seat actually
look pretty good and the front could use a recover,  tail lights ,
both bumpers were intact but need re chrome , scuff plates were
pretty nice and he knew what those were worth. door panels had
speaker holes. latches and handles were all there , dash pad  , the
doors  worked fine but had rust on the outside near the bottom. every
thing seemed to be complete under the hood and inside except radio
and heater controls.  The guys reserve is 500 as thats what the owner
owed for storage, but I think He's coming down if the auction doesn'g
reach that. Also there is the front disc brake set
>   up
>  which I don't have. Cars pretty rusty and stinks to high heaven, 4
lat tires I'm going to check his auction tonight as he's close to my
house, Said he's had over 300 emails.  Not sure what to do as I'm a
rookie at parting out a car. Input anyone??  Paul

   Doc is absolutely right about the "HAVING ROOM" part..At one time
I had 2 Chevy L.U.V. trucks that I was parting out plus I had my
daily driver and the truck that I was putting all these parts on.
Most of the parts that I did keep where small parts, like wiper
switches, headlight switches, tail lights small stuff that keep well
in boxes and can be stacked...neatly. Big heavy stuff like
alternators, starters I found out stack real well in the boxes that
they come in from the parts store. Those boxes are strong and you can
stack with out fear of being crushed. With in reason that is. If your
worried about stuff rusting while in storage.. Use just a few moth
balls in the boxes..I live in a fairly "dry" part of the country so I
am not to worried about stuff rusting, but stuff will and does rust.
I dont care what part of the country you live in. But the moth balls
keep the mice and bugs away and they soak up what moisture there is.
I was able to sell what was left of the trucks so I didnt really
loose out on money. My Eagle wagon that I parted was a different
story.. I kick my self in the ass for getting rid of that car, but I
had no choice. I needed the room!! I did get off of the car what I
wanted and what was left I gave to Phil Cambell.. He got all the big
stuff like trans and transfer case, front axles. But I had to "make
room" for the parts that I did keep. The head I kepted (just had that
rebuilt) and I did keep all the goodies so that I can have power
steering on my Gremlin. If I had known that these parts are getting
so hard to come by I would of just kept the whole car, but you live
and learn from your mistakes. Good luck on that parts car!! Bill
Lewiston Id.
> Yahoo! Mail
> Bring photos to life! New PhotoMail  makes sharing a breeze.

--- End Message ---